Thursday, January 28, 2016

Meditation for January 28, 2016

Hebrews 10:1 Since the law has only a shadow of the good things to come and not the true form of these realities, it can never, by the same sacrifices that are continually offered year after year, make perfect those who approach.

We’ve all woken up in the middle of the night and found ourselves unable to go back to sleep. During these wakeful times, I often think about my regrets: the friend I neglected when he was hurting, the kid I was mean to in the fourth grade, the people I could have treated better if I hadn’t been so absorbed in my own life. If there were some sacrifice I could make to erase my mistakes in the middle of the night, I’d do it.

In reality, forgiveness is not so easy. Sacrifices are not enough. Words are not enough. We cannot save ourselves from our own sin. It’s only in relationship that reconciliation and healing come. In the morning, with the sun up, I remember that I’ve reconciled with those people I’ve hurt, that I’ve received forgiveness for my sins. Ultimately, there is only so much we can do or say to make things right, and we must remember that we are loved, despite the inadequacy of our penance.

Lord Jesus, you have made our hearts burn within us, and have sent us back upon the road towards our brothers and sisters, with the Gospel message on our lips. Help us to see that hope and obedience to your commands always lead to the greater unity of your people. Amen.