Sunday, July 10, 2016

The Forward Day by Day Meditation for July 10, 2016 - 8th Sunday of Pentecost

Luke 10:36-37 [Jesus said] “Which of these three, do you think, was a neighbor to the man who fell into the hands of the robbers?” [A lawyer] said,” The one who showed him mercy.” Jesus said to him, “Go and do likewise.” 

I am a soft touch. I’m okay with that. I made a decision long ago that I would rather give money to the wrong person than refuse to help the right one. This means I have probably given money to a lot of hucksters. I’m okay with that too.

I can’t pass a man begging without thinking of my son. That man was once someone’s little baby. Somewhere between that innocent baby and the raggedy man on the street, something bad happened. No one begs because it’s enjoyable.

I can’t pass a woman begging without thinking of my mother. What if our lives had gone just a little differently? What if she’d been just a little less hale and hearty? The difference between a home and being homeless is sometimes just one late payment.

Show mercy. Imagine it’s you. Imagine the stranger is your child, your mother, your friend. Treat strangers as well as you would want them to treat your loved ones.

Go and do likewise.

 Join more than a half million readers worldwide who use Forward Day by Day as a resource for daily prayer and Bible study

No comments:

Post a Comment