Sunday, August 14, 2016

The Forward Day by Day Meditation for August 14, 2016 - 13th Sunday after Pentecost

From Forward Day By Day

Hebrews 12:1b-2a (NRSV) Let us run with perseverance the race that is set before us, looking to Jesus the pioneer and perfecter of our faith.

What happens when I get tired of this race set before me?

What happens when those encumbrances weigh me down, discourage and overwhelm me—when I feel I have lost the race?

Poet Maya Angelou offers this bit of wisdom: “You may encounter many defeats, but you must not feel defeated. In fact, it may be necessary to encounter the defeats, so you can know who you are, what you can rise from, how you can still come out of it.”

Who am I? Whose am I?

Being tripped up by the hurdles on this race can prove more valuable than jumping all of them. Besides, who is going to successfully jump all the hurdles in life’s race? From time to time, I pause along the course and give thanks that I am not running this race by myself. Indeed, I fix my eyes on Jesus and pick up the pace again, giving over instead of giving up. 



Join more than a half million readers worldwide who use Forward Day by Day as a resource for daily prayer and Bible study.

No comments:

Post a Comment