Monday, August 15, 2016

The Forward Day by Day Meditation for August 15, 2016

From Forward Day By Day

Luke 1:46-47 (NRSV) And Mary said, “My soul magnifies the Lord, and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior.”

My study group in college spent some time debating the virgin birth. Most of us thought it pure mythology. Our studies showed that this concept came from an early misinterpretation of Isaiah (7:14) and later quoted in Matthew (1:23) which had put in “virgin” instead of “young woman.” After all, virgins don’t give birth, right?

My, how smart we all were. And what hubris. It has sometimes humored and sometimes saddened me as I think of how humankind defines God’s actions in light of our understanding. We know much these days, but such knowledge is a drop in the ocean of what God knows.

These days, I’m not as smart as I used to be. I welcome the Christ child into my heart as Mary did so long ago—with no explanations necessary. Today we pay homage to Mary, whose incredible faith and courage were only surpassed by her obedience and love as she sings out with her soul and spirit. May we too magnify and rejoice in the Lord on this day.

 

Join more than a half million readers worldwide who use Forward Day by Day as a resource for daily prayer and Bible study.

No comments:

Post a Comment