Sunday, August 28, 2016

The Forward Day by Day Meditation for August 28, 2016

From Forward Day By Day

Ecclesiasticus 10:12 (NRSV) The beginning of human pride is to forsake the Lord; the heart has withdrawn from its Maker.

On those occasions when I have experienced some success, I have found it more meaningful to thank God than to pat myself on the back. When I give God the glory, it feels right—and more accurate. There is no reason to make a big scene, just a grateful whisper of acknowledgement to the Lord.

I have also engaged in being proud of my humility, walking around with an attitude of, “I am more humble than you and pleased with myself because of it.” This misses the point. What I have learned is that the real blessing is when I can thank God for my failures.

We learn more from our failures than from our successes. Who defines success anyway? Who defines success for me? For you? Too often I have sought to please others so they will think I am a good person rather than strive to please God. That is not success. In the final analysis, I want God to determine how successful I have been. I want my heart to belong to its Maker.

Join more than a half million readers worldwide who use Forward Day by Day as a resource for daily prayer and Bible study.

No comments:

Post a Comment