Friday, August 5, 2016

The Forward Day by Day Meditation for August 5, 2016

From Forward Day By Day

Psalm 88:1-2 (NRSV) O LORD, my God, my Savior, by day and night I cry to you. Let my prayer enter into your presence; incline your ear to my lamentation.

I always read Forward Day by Day in the early morning, but I know some folks prefer reading it before retiring for the night. During my evening quiet time, I often read Jim Cotter’s Prayer at Night’s Approaching, with its version of Compline that I find deeply stirring. He ends one of his nightly devotions with this blessing: “Friend and Lover, bless us and keep us; Light of the world, shine on our faces; Transfigured Yeshua, lift us to glory. May the darkness of night deepen and dazzle.”

Like many, I grew up singing “What a Friend We Have in Jesus.” The lyrics still inspire me. Sing along if you wish: “What a friend we have in Jesus, all our sins and griefs to bear! What a privilege to carry everything to God in prayer!”

May we be blessed and kept by our friend this day and night, and always.


 Join more than a half million readers worldwide who use Forward Day by Day as a resource for daily prayer and Bible study.

No comments:

Post a Comment