Saturday, September 17, 2016

The Forward Day by Day Meditation for September 17, 2016

From Forward Day By Day
Written by Jonathan Melton

Psalm 27:11-12 (NRSV) You speak in my heart and say, “Seek my face.” Your face, LORD, will I seek. Hide not your face from me, nor turn away your servant in displeasure.

I stared into the eyes of the kind-faced, wrinkled woman before me. She stared back, seeing nothing. For the last few years, her life’s story had been held by a family she could not remember and lived out in a facility that she could not see. The people who loved her asked me to bring communion to this woman who would not really know if I showed up or not—a woman who could not remember her own name or the names of those she loved. As I prepared communion for us, I looked into her eyes and asked, “Lord, where are you?”

As we began to pray the Lord’s Prayer, it seemed as though a veil lifted. The face of this woman who could not remember transformed into the face of one who deeply knew as she was known, and the joy of that transcendental moment still makes me catch my breath. That we will know and be fully known are among the sweetest promises of being in relationship with Jesus.

These promises carry an acknowledgement that God’s face can be difficult to glimpse in this life. And yet, we seek. Sometimes we glimpse. And we are transformed by joy.

Join more than a half million readers worldwide who use Forward Day by Day as a resource for daily prayer and Bible study.

No comments:

Post a Comment