Saturday, September 24, 2016

The Forward Day by Day Meditation for September 24, 2016

From Forward Day By Day
Written by Jonathan Melton

Psalm 90:14 (NRSV) Satisfy us by your loving-kindness in the morning; so shall we rejoice and be glad all the days of our life.

Taizé is a French ecumenical monastic community whose worship is marked by song, simplicity, and silent prayer. “But what do you do in the silence?” came the question from a young adult, addressing one of the brothers of the Taizé community. The brother smiled and answered, “It’s a good question. I listen to God and learn to trust God’s love. I begin to love God back through my astonishment at God’s love for me. There is joy in the silence.”

I do not always wake up in the morning longing to be satisfied by God’s loving-kindness. I wake up worried about responsibilities, irritated that the demands of work and family are ever at war. Some days, I wonder who I am and what’s important and whether I trust the answers to those same questions that I came up with on the previous day. To live in God’s love requires daily surrender.

May the silence in our prayers today recall to us the love that will satisfy and bring us the joy and belonging offered by God in Christ. For this we were made. Amen.


Join more than a half million readers worldwide who use Forward Day by Day as a resource for daily prayer and Bible study.

No comments:

Post a Comment