Wednesday, November 2, 2016

The Daily Readings for November 2, 2016


Ecclesiasticus 43:23-33
By his plan he stilled the deep and planted islands in it. Those who sail the sea tell of its dangers, and we marvel at what we hear. In it are strange and marvelous creatures, all kinds of living things, and huge sea-monsters. Because of him each of his messengers succeeds, and by his word all things hold together. We could say more but could never say enough; let the final word be: "He is the all." Where can we find the strength to praise him? For he is greater than all his works. Awesome is the Lord and very great, and marvelous is his power. Glorify the Lord and exalt him as much as you can, for he surpasses even that. When you exalt him, summon all your strength, and do not grow weary, for you cannot praise him enough. Who has seen him and can describe him? Or who can extol him as he is? Many things greater than these lie hidden, for I have seen but few of his works. For the Lord has made all things, and to the godly he has given wisdom.

Revelation 16:1-11
Then I heard a loud voice from the temple telling the seven angels, "Go and pour out on the earth the seven bowls of the wrath of God." So the first angel went and poured his bowl on the earth, and a foul and painful sore came on those who had the mark of the beast and who worshiped its image. The second angel poured his bowl into the sea, and it became like the blood of a corpse, and every living thing in the sea died. The third angel poured his bowl into the rivers and the springs of water, and they became blood. And I heard the angel of the waters say, "You are just, O Holy One, who are and were, for you have judged these things; because they shed the blood of saints and prophets, you have given them blood to drink. It is what they deserve!" And I heard the altar respond, "Yes, O Lord God, the Almighty, your judgments are true and just!" The fourth angel poured his bowl on the sun, and it was allowed to scorch them with fire; they were scorched by the fierce heat, but they cursed the name of God, who had authority over these plagues, and they did not repent and give him glory. The fifth angel poured his bowl on the throne of the beast, and its kingdom was plunged into darkness; people gnawed their tongues in agony, and cursed the God of heaven because of their pains and sores, and they did not repent of their deeds.

Luke 13:10-17
Now he was teaching in one of the synagogues on the sabbath. And just then there appeared a woman with a spirit that had crippled her for eighteen years. She was bent over and was quite unable to stand up straight. When Jesus saw her, he called her over and said, "Woman, you are set free from your ailment." When he laid his hands on her, immediately she stood up straight and began praising God. But the leader of the synagogue, indignant because Jesus had cured on the sabbath, kept saying to the crowd, "There are six days on which work ought to be done; come on those days and be cured, and not on the sabbath day." But the Lord answered him and said, "You hypocrites! Does not each of you on the sabbath untie his ox or his donkey from the manger, and lead it away to give it water? And ought not this woman, a daughter of Abraham whom Satan bound for eighteen long years, be set free from this bondage on the sabbath day?" When he said this, all his opponents were put to shame; and the entire crowd was rejoicing at all the wonderful things that he was doing.

Morning Psalms

Psalm 72 Deus, judicium
1   Give the King your justice, O God, and your righteousness to the King's son;
2   That he may rule your people righteously and the poor with justice.
3   That the mountains may bring prosperity to the people, and the little hills bring righteousness.
4   He shall defend the needy among the people; he shall rescue the poor and crush the oppressor.
5   He shall live as long as the sun and moon endure, from one generation to another.
6   He shall come down like rain upon the mown field, like showers that water the earth.
7   In his time shall the righteous flourish; there shall be abundance of peace till the moon shall be no more.
8   He shall rule from sea to sea, and from the River to the ends of the earth.
9   His foes shall bow down before him, and his enemies lick the dust.
10   The kings of Tarshish and of the isles shall pay tribute, and the kings of Arabia and Saba offer gifts.
11   All kings shall bow down before him, and all the nations do him service.
12   For he shall deliver the poor who cries out in distress, and the oppressed who has no helper.
13   He shall have pity on the lowly and poor; he shall preserve the lives of the needy.
14   He shall redeem their lives from oppression and violence, and dear shall their blood be in his sight.
15   Long may he live! and may there be given to him gold from Arabia; may prayer be made for him always, and may they bless him all the day long.
16   May there be abundance of grain on the earth, growing thick even on the hilltops; may its fruit flourish like Lebanon, and its grain like grass upon the earth.
17   May his Name remain for ever and be established as long as the sun endures; may all the nations bless themselves in him and call him blessed.
18   Blessed be the Lord GOD, the God of Israel, who alone does wondrous deeds!
19   And blessed be his glorious Name for ever! and may all the earth be filled with his glory. Amen. Amen.


Evening Psalms

Psalm 119: Yodh Manus tuæ fecerunt me
73   Your hands have made me and fashioned me; give me understanding, that I may learn your commandments.
74   Those who fear you will be glad when they see me, because I trust in your word.
75   I know, O LORD, that your judgments are right and that in faithfulness you have afflicted me.
76   Let your loving-kindness be my comfort, as you have promised to your servant.
77   Let your compassion come to me, that I may live, for your law is my delight.
78   Let the arrogant be put to shame, for they wrong me with lies; but I will meditate on your commandments.
79   Let those who fear you turn to me, and also those who know your decrees.
80   Let my heart be sound in your statutes, that I may not be put to shame.


Psalm 119: Kaph Defecit in salutare
81   My soul has longed for your salvation; I have put my hope in your word.
82   My eyes have failed from watching for your promise, and I say, "When will you comfort me?"
83   I have become like a leather flask in the smoke, but I have not forgotten your statutes.
84   How much longer must I wait? when will you give judgment against those who persecute me?
85   The proud have dug pits for me; they do not keep your law.
86   All your commandments are true; help me, for they persecute me with lies.
87   They had almost made an end of me on earth, but I have not forsaken your commandments.
88   In your loving-kindness, revive me, that I may keep the decrees of your mouth.


Psalm 119: Lamedh In æternum, Domine
89   O LORD, your word is everlasting; it stands firm in the heavens.
90   Your faithfulness remains from one generation to another; you established the earth, and it abides.
91   By your decree these continue to this day, for all things are your servants.
92   If my delight had not been in your law, I should have perished in my affliction.
93   I will never forget your commandments, because by them you give me life.
94   I am yours; oh, that you would save me! for I study your commandments.
95   Though the wicked lie in wait for me to destroy me, I will apply my mind to your decrees.
96   I see that all things come to an end, but your commandment has no bounds.


New Revised Standard Version Bible, copyright 1989, Division of Christian Education of the National Council of the Churches of Christ in the United States of America. Used by permission. All rights reserved. The New Revised Standard Version Bible may be quoted and/or reprinted up to and inclusive of five hundred (500) verses without express written permission of the publisher, provided the verses quoted do not amount to a complete book of the Bible or account for fifty percent (50%) of the total work in which they are quoted.

No comments:

Post a Comment