Thursday, December 1, 2016

The Daily Meditation for THURSDAY, December 1, 2016

From Forward Day By Day
Written by Hugo Olaiz

Psalm 18:37-38 (NRSV) You lengthen my stride beneath me, and my ankles do not give way. I pursue my enemies and overtake them; I will not turn back till I have destroyed them.

Twelve years ago, when my doctor recommended I add vigorous cardiovascular activity to my life, we adopted a beagle mix named Patches. Her entire attitude echoes the psalmist’s gratitude—God is generous and life is good.

Patches wags her tail with gusto every time we return home. Whether running on the grassy field across the street or exploring the nearby forest, Patches offers me a daily opportunity to see how God lengthens her stride. Her enemies (squirrels and deer) provide further opportunities to run and exercise.

Patches is an old dog now. She’s going deaf, and sometimes she loses her balance. Despite her limping, Patches insists on running. If she loses her balance and falls, she just gets back up on her four legs and keeps moving. Her optimism and hope for the future are unshakable.

Why is it hard for us to be as happy as our canine companions? What life lessons can we learn from their cheerfulness, innocence, and loyalty?

Join more than a half million readers worldwide who use Forward Day by Day as a resource for daily prayer and Bible study.

No comments:

Post a Comment