Sunday, February 5, 2017

LHM Daily Devotion - "A Changed Direction"

 February 5, 2017

Do not enter the path of the wicked, and do not walk in the way of the evil. Avoid it; do not go on it; turn away from it and pass on.

Dear Brothers and Sisters in Christ:

The salvation story of Jesus Christ reaches around the world. So that the readers of our Daily Devotion may see the power of the Savior on a global scale, we have asked the volunteers of our international ministry centers to write our Sunday devotions. We pray that the Spirit may touch your day through their words.

In Christ, I remain, His servant and yours,
Kenneth R. Klaus
Speaker Emeritus of The Lutheran Hour


I got to know Lutheran Media Ministry-Uganda (LMM-U) through its youth outreach and Bible Correspondence Courses (BCC). My story began one evening after class.

The school Disciplinary Committee asked all students to assemble at the main administration block. I can tell you this was an inconvenience as this was the only time we could make contact with our classmates.

After we had assembled we were introduced to the LMM-U team. They split us into groups and talked to us about behavior. Personally, I thought this was a waste of time and I wasn't interested in anything they had to say. Still, as the facilitator spoke, she did manage to hit on something which captured my attention: peer pressure.

I was interested because I knew the wicked things I was doing with my peers. For instance, we always organized bottle parties during holidays where we would drink, dance and party all night. These parties were always free as long as one came with a partner (that is, girl or boy friend) as a free ticket. We did this to make sure we attracted as many people as we could to join our group.

Sadly, there were many negatives to all that. When we got drunk, we would do all kinds of worthless things. We would fight, and do all the kinds of things you can image a group of drunken teenagers might do. One night, at one of the parties, I got a good look at my friends who were getting drunk, dancing and shouting.

I sat down in a corner and contemplated if this was the kind of life I was ready to live.

I gave it a deep thought and, eventually, I realized everything I was doing was being done simply because my friends were doing it. At this point, the question in mind was how do I get rid of all this? It wasn't as easy as it sounds because I knew my friends would turn on me and isolate me.

I am grateful to the Almighty God who allowed the LMM-U team to extend their programs to my school just at the time when I needed them the most. When the facilitator quoted Proverbs 4:14, it all came clear to me, and I realized this was the right time for me to pull away from what I had been doing with my peers.

A new life in the Lord strengthened me as I realized I didn't have to do what the rest were doing because it was wicked.

After my introduction to the Savior and the forgiveness He had won for me, it was easier to be changed and follow a better path in my life. Slowly, I started to take part in various church activities. All in all, I rejoice the Holy Spirit has saved me, transformed me, and is using me.

THE PRAYER: Heavenly Father, thank You for Your grace and gift of Your Holy Spirit who guides us to the right way. Use us as Your vessels to the glory of Your Name. In Jesus' Name I ask it. Amen.

Biography of Author: Today's international devotion was written by Najjuko Harriet, a 16-year-old student at St Elizabeth Girl's Secondary School in Mityana District, Uganda. Harriet became involved with Lutheran Hour Ministries-Uganda (LHM-Uganda) when our team visited her school to conduct a youth session. Afterwards, she enrolled and joined the Bible Correspondence Course. Today she's a volunteer who coordinates the Bible course at her school.

In this African nation of more than 37 million people, LHM-Uganda, known locally as Lutheran Media Ministry, has connected with more than 250,000 individuals through print, broadcast, electronic and traditional media. This outreach has led to the formation of more than 100 Lutheran churches countrywide. We also offer a biblical values-based peer education program designed for secondary school students. Through puppet shows, musical and dramatic performances, sizeable crowds of people, both literate and illiterate, have heard the Good News of Jesus as Lord and Savior.

This ministry center also uses the Equipping the Saints (ETS) program to assist people in their understanding of Scripture and strengthen their outreach to others. Additionally, holiday specials, topical booklets, dramatic shows and storytelling performances, concerts, films, and youth and small group ministry share with audiences the Good News of Jesus as Lord and Savior. Staff and volunteers also do AIDS-related work, supporting those impacted by this disease.

From its radio broadcasts in the capital city of Kampala, wonderful responses have been coming into LHM-Uganda's ministry center from people touched by these messages. You can read some of these listener responses by clicking here.

To learn more about our International Ministries, visit  www.lhm.org/international.

Use these devotions in your newsletter and bulletin!  Used by permission; all rights reserved by the Int'l LLL (LHM). The Holy Bible, English Standard Version. ESV® Permanent Text Edition® (2016). Copyright © 2001 by Crossway Bibles, a publishing ministry of Good News Publishers.

No comments:

Post a Comment