Tuesday, May 30, 2017

Morning Devotions with Cap'n Kenny - Getting Ready For Company


At midnight someone announced, “The bridegroom is coming! Come and meet him!” Then all the girls woke up. They made their lamps ready. But the foolish girls said to the wise girls, “Give us some of your oil. The oil in our lamps is all gone.” The wise girls answered, “No! The oil we have might not be enough for all of us. But go to those who sell oil and buy some for yourselves.” So the foolish girls went to buy oil. While they were gone, the bridegroom came. The girls who were ready went in with the bridegroom to the wedding feast. Then the door was closed and locked.
~ Matthew 25:6-10 (ERV)


The other day, while sitting on my back porch and talking to God, I asked, “When are you coming, Lord?” Of course I knew He would not answer because, as the Bible says in Matthew 24:36, “No one knows when that day or time will be. The Son and the angels in heaven don’t know when it will be. Only the Father knows.” But, I also entertained the idea of, “What if it were today?”

Would I be ready for the Lord to come right now, or would I need to get ready? Would I need to clean some things out of my life that would be displeasing to Him? If He knocked at my door, would I gladly welcome Him, or would I have to say, “Wait a minute while I do a few things?” Would I be like the foolish virgins in Matthew 25, who did not take extra oil for their lamps, and when the bridegroom came, they had left to get more oil? They were unprepared and missed their chance.

I went to a gathering recently, where a place was set at the table for Jesus. They had a full plate of food as if He were there. I have to say that it made me very uncomfortable. First, my back was to Him, which seemed all wrong. Second, I could hardly eat just thinking of the idea of, what if He truly was there? Even though I knew He was not physically there, I knew He was right there in my life, so He definitely was there. I was overwhelmed.

Jesus is my Lord and Savior. I asked Him into my life many years ago. The blood that He shed, cleanses me from all my unrighteousness. He anoints my head with oil, so my lamp is continually lit. The only good in me is Him and He makes me ready.

Getting prepared for God means giving your heart, soul, and mind to Him. That is the essential step to getting ready for Him. We must ask ourselves this question, “Am I ready for the company of God Almighty?”


Dear Savior, Only through your blood can we be ready for you. Thank you for that gift. Amen

In Jesus,
Cap'n Kenny


Seeking God?
Click HERE to find out more about how to have a personal
relationship with Jesus Christ.

Scripture taken from the Easy-to-Read Version (ERV) Copyright © 2006 by Bible League International.

No comments:

Post a Comment