Sunday, June 4, 2017

Daily Devotion June 5, 2017 "Drink Deeply; You are Going to Need It!"

It's that time of year again for me. It's time to try to get in shape.

Daily Devotions from Lutheran Hour Ministries

By Rev. Dr. Gregory Seltz, Speaker of The Lutheran Hour



"Drink Deeply; You are Going to Need It!"

June 5, 2017

(Jesus said) "Whoever believes in Me, as the Scripture has said, 'Out of his heart will flow rivers of living water.'" Now this He said about the Spirit, whom those who believed in him were to receive ....

It's that time of year again for me. It's time to try to get in shape. Have I talked about this with you before? Maybe this is an ongoing discussion for you like it is for me. It seems that every time I go to the doctor lately he says things like "Everything looks okay, but you could lose a little weight." Thanks, doc, like I didn't see that myself. And, of course, when I talk about the aches and pains that I'm experiencing with trying to get back in shape then he, of course, says that phrase that's becoming a chorus line: "Those are the things that happen when you get older." Oh, yes, and there's one more thing he tells me. "If you want some help with that workout thing -- running, lifting weights -- then remember to drink lots of water!"

Drink deeply a half-hour before you workout or run. Why? You are going to need it.

Yesterday's sermon focused on the power of being satiated with the spiritual blessings that come from Jesus Christ alone. He said it, "If anyone is thirsty, let him come to Me and drink."

Yes, how bold, yes, but how clear and to the point. Some might call it "arrogance" to say such a thing. But, if you can deliver what you offer, if you offer it as a gift, and you offer it to all who ask -- that's not arrogance, that's grace. And, that is the forgiveness, life, and salvation that Jesus is offering to you and to me today.

He knows what it is like to be parched in this sinful world. Even though He was sinless, even though He had a perfect harmony with the Heavenly Father by His own righteousness, He entered our brokenness. He took on our pain. He entered the aridness of the desert of our sin and rebellion. Why? It was in order to give us living water to drink, living water to empower our new life with Him, living water to satiate our thirst for God's righteousness, justice, and peace. He knows the thirst but, more importantly, He knows that water that can quench that thirst: faith in Him as your Savior.

Have you ever been on a long run or a long hike where you pushed yourself beyond what your body was capable of doing? I've had those days when I barely made it back from the run or when I went out to exercise in heat and humidity that was overwhelming. At the end of that kind of exercise, it would be crazy to even consider coffee or soft drinks or alcohol. What tastes best then? It's lots of water. Wow! There are times in life when you know it's true: it's back to the basics with everything.

So if you are struggling at the moment, kind of lost in life, or feeling emotionally parched, it's time to get connected to Jesus through the words of the Bible. There's a message of grace, love, and life that will quench your ultimate thirst. Keep listening with me and we'll drink this living water together. God bless.

THE PRAYER: Dear Lord Jesus, give me the kind of faith, hope, and love that flows out of my life because I know and trust You as my Lord and Savior. Amen

Use these devotions in your newsletter and bulletin!  Used by permission; all rights reserved by the Int'l LLL (LHM).

No comments:

Post a Comment