Wednesday, September 6, 2017

LHM Daily Devotion - September 7, 2017 "Watershed"

Have you ever heard of a "watershed moment?"

Daily Devotions from Lutheran Hour Ministries

By Pastor Ken Klaus, Speaker Emeritus of The Lutheran Hour



"Watershed"

September 7, 2017

...there came a man full of leprosy. And when he saw Jesus, he fell on his face and begged him, "Lord, if you will, you can make me clean." And Jesus stretched out his hand and touched him, saying, "I will; be clean." And immediately the leprosy left him.
~ Luke 5:12a-13 (ESV)

Have you ever heard of a "watershed moment?"

A watershed moment is an event which is of such intensity and importance to us that we never forget it. It is an event which forever changes how we think of ourselves, or somebody else.

Over the years I have visited with 70, 80 and 90 year old grandparents who can still vividly recall the childhood day when Dad implied they were stupid. Actually, he didn't imply it, he said it. "You're stupid." From that moment on they thought of themselves that way. They remember the time the teacher handed back their test papers and, as she placed theirs on the desk, she whispered, "You had the lowest grade in the class. You're going to have to try harder."

These watershed moments were recalled with almost crystal-like clarity.

From a nursing home or living room these seniors can describe every detail of that day. And, I believe if I had the time to come to the home of every Daily Devotioner, every one of you could share one or more such watershed moments of your own.

Indeed, you already remember such an event, don't you? Was it when you were young and everybody in your class was invited to the birthday party and you weren't? Was it the day the boss passed you up for a promotion; or the day your spouse gave you an especially cruel verbal cut; or the day the bank teller looked down her nose and gave you a cold stare?

I can't guess what your "watershed moments" were, but you know.

If you can remember those watershed moments, I would like you to take a second look at the watershed moment in our text above.

It tells of a man with a particularly unappealing and loathsome disease who came to Jesus. He had a simple appeal, "If you want, You can make me clean." To anyone who heard it, it was an outrageous request. To Jesus, it was an heartfelt appeal coming from a desperate and lonely man. Faster than I can say it Jesus replied, "I want to make you well" and He touched the man.

Yes, Jesus touched the man... and the man was well. And that is a watershed moment.

And it is your watershed moment, too.

No matter how badly you feel about yourself; no matter what others have told you, Jesus wants it to be different. Jesus came to save the world, but He also came to save you; to rescue you; to forgive you. Today, your repentant heart can say, "Jesus, if you want, you can help me." Then listen carefully as He assures, "At the cross and the empty tomb, I already did."

THE PRAYER: Dear Lord, for a Savior Who died to free me from my sins I shall always be eternally grateful. When the world wishes to hurt me, let me hear the loving and comforting words of my Redeemer. In His Name I pray. Amen.

Use these devotions in your newsletter and bulletin!  Used by permission; all rights reserved by the Int'l LLL (LHM).

No comments:

Post a Comment