Sunday, December 31, 2017

LHM Advent Devotion - December 31, 2017 "REMEMBER"


Advent Devotions from Lutheran Hour Ministries

"REMEMBER"

December 31, 2017

But Mary treasured up all these things, pondering them in her heart.
~ Luke 2:19 (ESV)

For many children, the story of their birth is their favorite bedtime story. They want to hear what happened-where they were born, who was present, how their parents cared for them in the earliest days. They may have the story memorized, but they want to hear it once again.

If Jesus felt this way, His mother was well prepared to tell the story. Luke says, "Mary treasured up all these things, pondering them in her heart." Mary's next few years would be filled with the mundane challenges of everyday life: feeding a baby, changing diapers, cooking dinner, cleaning house. It was a far cry from angels and miracles in a stable.

But Mary remembered. God's work in the past helped to strengthen her faith. It reminded her that her baby playing on the floor was in fact the Son of God, the Savior of the world. It reminded her that the boy doing chores that day would have much greater work to do as the Savior of the world. No doubt the memories got her through the bad days-the escape to Egypt, the move back to Nazareth, the eventual death of her husband, probably some time in Jesus' teens or young adulthood.

Mary remembered what God had done-and we should remember, too. I remember that God came to me when I was a young child in a difficult and dangerous time. Although I was nobody important, God loved me and chose me to be His own. He gave His own Son Jesus to be my Savior, to suffer and to die on the cross for me. And He raised Jesus from the dead to be our Lord who gives everlasting life to everyone who belongs to Him. God made me His through Baptism, and has stayed with me even through the darkest times in my life. I know that He is faithful and will never leave me.

What has God done for you? Remember.

THE PRAYER: Thank You, Lord, for all that You have done for me. Keep me close to You always, trusting in You. Amen.

Use these devotions in your newsletter and bulletin! Used by permission; all rights reserved by the Int'l LLL (LHM).
For many children, the story of their birth is their favorite bedtime story.

No comments:

Post a Comment