Thursday, October 4, 2018

LHM Daily Devotions - Inseparable

https://www.lhm.org/dailydevotions/default.asp?date=20181005

"Inseparable"

Oct. 5, 2018

For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Today hasn't been easy: too much to do and too little time to do it! It was hard enough simply to meet the daily demands at work; on top of those, a bushel-basket full of extra problems weighed me down!

It all made me very tired. Tired? Perhaps weary is a better word. I can get tired but still have enough strength to cope with a busy day or a lot of problems. But being weary, in my book, means to be one step beyond tired. It means I have a lack of energy, a lack of zeal, no patience at all. When I'm weary, I'm irritable. And when I'm irritable, no wants to be by me, including me.

Satan uses our problems, our tiredness, our weariness, as opportunities to drive wedges between God and us. That's when I think of God's promises in the Bible. It may be across the room on a table, and yet it may seem like an eternity before I open it to receive God's refreshing Word. That's the temptation of Satan, too, keeping me from receiving God's grace through His written Word.

God always is calling us when we are tired or overburdened by problems. Often, we let Satan succeed in separating us from the love of God. The apostle Paul clearly explains that nothing at all really can stand between God and us. That's right: nothing "will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord" (Romans 8:39b).

That is not always easy to believe. But God's promises are true. Deep down I know that. Often I forget. Often I'm tempted to forget. Often I get weak -- get weary -- don't care anymore. But the psalmist knew that regardless of the great problems he faced in life, he was not separated from God, for he wrote, "O LORD, You have searched me and known me! You know when I sit down and when I rise up; You discern my thoughts from afar. You search out my path and my lying down and are acquainted with all my ways" (Psalm 139:1-3).

Inseparable. Together, with God in me and working through me, with His Word close to my heart and His Spirit working in my soul to make me a living example of Christ Jesus -- that inseparable team shall always be victorious, regardless of the enemy. Temptations, weakness, trials, troubles will never overcome the person who realizes God's inseparable love in Jesus. That inseparable team may have one weak member that gets tired -- even weary -- and my stumble and fall into sin. But the greater Member, God Himself, will show His grace in merciful ways when that happens, offering forgiveness through repentance.

THE PRAYER: Heavenly Father, when I am tempted to forget Your promises to be with me, remind me of how Jesus, Your Son, my Savior, is ever by my side. In His Name I pray. Amen.

From The Lutheran Layman, July 1983 issue, "Inseparable" by Gerry Perschbacher. Use these devotions in your newsletter and bulletin! Used by permission; all rights reserved by the Int'l LLL (LHM).
Today hasn't been easy: too much to do and too little time to do it!

No comments:

Post a Comment