Friday, March 22, 2019

The Daily Lectionary for SATURDAY, March 23, 2019

A Tree and Its Fruit
Luke 6:43-45

The Daily Lectionary
SATURDAY, March 23, 2019
(Revised Common Lectionary Year C)

Psalm 63:1-8
Comfort and Assurance in God’s Presence
A Psalm of David, when he was in the Wilderness of Judah.
1  O God, you are my God, I seek you,
     my soul thirsts for you;
   my flesh faints for you,
     as in a dry and weary land where there is no water.
2  So I have looked upon you in the sanctuary,
     beholding your power and glory.
3  Because your steadfast love is better than life,
     my lips will praise you.
4  So I will bless you as long as I live;
     I will lift up my hands and call on your name.

5  My soul is satisfied as with a rich feast,
     and my mouth praises you with joyful lips
6  when I think of you on my bed,
     and meditate on you in the watches of the night;
7  for you have been my help,
     and in the shadow of your wings I sing for joy.
8  My soul clings to you;
     your right hand upholds me.

Isaiah 5:1-7
The Song of the Unfruitful Vineyard
5:1 Let me sing for my beloved

     my love-song concerning his vineyard:
   My beloved had a vineyard
     on a very fertile hill.
2  He dug it and cleared it of stones,
     and planted it with choice vines;
   he built a watchtower in the midst of it,
     and hewed out a wine vat in it;
   he expected it to yield grapes,
     but it yielded wild grapes.

3  And now, inhabitants of Jerusalem
     and people of Judah,
   judge between me
     and my vineyard.
4  What more was there to do for my vineyard
     that I have not done in it?
   When I expected it to yield grapes,
     why did it yield wild grapes?

5  And now I will tell you
     what I will do to my vineyard.
   I will remove its hedge,
     and it shall be devoured;
   I will break down its wall,
     and it shall be trampled down.
6  I will make it a waste;
     it shall not be pruned or hoed,
     and it shall be overgrown with briers and thorns;
   I will also command the clouds
     that they rain no rain upon it.

7  For the vineyard of the Lord of hosts
     is the house of Israel,
   and the people of Judah
     are his pleasant planting;
   he expected justice,
     but saw bloodshed;
   righteousness,
     but heard a cry!

Luke 6:43-45
A Tree and Its Fruit
6:43 “No good tree bears bad fruit, nor again does a bad tree bear good fruit; 44 for each tree is known by its own fruit. Figs are not gathered from thorns, nor are grapes picked from a bramble bush. 45 The good person out of the good treasure of the heart produces good, and the evil person out of evil treasure produces evil; for it is out of the abundance of the heart that the mouth speaks.

Optional parts of the readings are set off in [square brackets.]

The Bible texts of the Old Testament, Epistle and Gospel lessons are from the New Revised Standard Version Bible, copyright 1989 by the Division of Christian Education of the National Council of the Church of Christ in the USA, and used by permission.

The Daily Lectionary is a three year cyclical lectionary. We are currently in Year C. Beginning with the first Sunday of Advent in 2019, we will be in Year A. The year which ended at Advent 2018 was Year B. These readings complement the Sunday and festival readings: Thursday through Saturday readings help prepare the reader for the Sunday ahead; Monday through Wednesday readings help the reader reflect and digest on what they heard in worship. Revised Common Lectionary Daily Readings, copyright © 2005 Consultation on Common Texts. www.commontexts.org
“No good tree bears bad fruit, nor again does a bad tree bear good fruit; for each tree is known by its own fruit.

No comments:

Post a Comment