Saturday, May 11, 2019

LHM Daily Devotions - I Am Jesus' Little Lamb

https://www.lhm.org/dailydevotions/default.asp?date=20190512

"I Am Jesus' Little Lamb"

May 12, 2019

"I am Jesus' little lamb, Ever glad at heart I am; For my Shepherd gently guides me, Knows my need and well provides me, Loves me ev'ry day the same, Even calls me by my name.

"Who so happy as I am, Even now the Shepherd's lamb? And when my short life is ended, By His angel host attended, He shall fold me to His breast, There within His arms to rest."

The prophet Isaiah spoke of a day to come when God Himself would visit His people. He would tend His flock like a shepherd. He would gather the lambs in His arms and carry them close to His heart (see Isaiah 40:11). The hymn, "I Am Jesus' Little Lamb," celebrates Jesus, our Shepherd and Savior, who came among us as the prophet foretold. The hymn speaks of the Shepherd's love for us and our joy in His care. It is a hymn for little children and for all of God's children of every age in life. In Baptism our Shepherd calls us by name and makes us His own. The early lessons of faith we learn-that Jesus loves us, that He knows our needs and gently guides us-are confirmed in our lives as the years pass.

The Good Shepherd, who gave His life to save us, loves us "every day the same." In a world of uncertainty and fear, this is certain: Jesus loves you every day the same. Jesus your Shepherd is "the same yesterday and today and forever" (Hebrews 13:8b). This is the same Shepherd who carried you before you were born and who promises, "Even to your old age I am He, and to gray hairs I will carry you. I have made, and I will bear; I will carry and will save" (Isaiah 46:4). You were chosen, in fact, to be His own before you were born, even before the world was created (see Ephesians 1:4).

There are times when we wander from the Shepherd, as lambs often do, perhaps trying to distance ourselves from His watchful care or imagining that greener pastures may be found elsewhere. But our Shepherd laid down His life to save His sheep. He seeks us out, His wandering, doubting, fearful lambs, and rescues us with His forgiveness and love.

Whatever your age, you are a child of God; you are Jesus' precious little lamb. The Shepherd, who has always loved you, will love you "every day the same" throughout your earthly years and for all eternity.

THE PRAYER: Jesus, my Shepherd, shelter me with Your love and forgiveness, guide me with the staff of Your Word and hold me always close to Your heart. Amen.

This Daily Devotion was written by Dr. Carol Geisler. It is based on the hymn, "I Am Jesus' Little Lamb." Use these devotions in your newsletter and bulletin! Used by permission; all rights reserved by the Int'l LLL (LHM).
There are times when we wander from the Shepherd, as lambs often do...

No comments:

Post a Comment