Tuesday, June 25, 2019

The Daily Lectionary for WEDNESDAY, June 26, 2019

Jesus Heals a Boy with a Demon
Luke 9:37-43a

The Daily Lectionary
WEDNESDAY, June 26, 2019
(Revised Common Lectionary Year C)
(Semi-continuous Reading Plan)

Psalm 59
Prayer for Deliverance from Enemies
To the leader: Do Not Destroy. Of David. A Miktam, when Saul ordered his house to be watched in order to kill him.
1  Deliver me from my enemies, O my God;
     protect me from those who rise up against me.
2  Deliver me from those who work evil;
     from the bloodthirsty save me.

3  Even now they lie in wait for my life;
     the mighty stir up strife against me.
   For no transgression or sin of mine, O Lord,
4    for no fault of mine, they run and make ready.

   Rouse yourself, come to my help and see!
5    You, Lord God of hosts, are God of Israel.
   Awake to punish all the nations;
     spare none of those who treacherously plot evil.   Selah

6  Each evening they come back,
     howling like dogs
     and prowling about the city.
7  There they are, bellowing with their mouths,
     with sharp words on their lips—
     for “Who,” they think, “will hear us?”

8  But you laugh at them, O Lord;
     you hold all the nations in derision.
9  O my strength, I will watch for you;
     for you, O God, are my fortress.
10 My God in his steadfast love will meet me;
     my God will let me look in triumph on my enemies.

11 Do not kill them, or my people may forget;
     make them totter by your power, and bring them down,
     O Lord, our shield.
12 For the sin of their mouths, the words of their lips,
     let them be trapped in their pride.
   For the cursing and lies that they utter,
13   consume them in wrath;
     consume them until they are no more.
   Then it will be known to the ends of the earth
     that God rules over Jacob.   Selah

14 Each evening they come back,
     howling like dogs
     and prowling about the city.
15 They roam about for food,
     and growl if they do not get their fill.

16 But I will sing of your might;
     I will sing aloud of your steadfast love in the morning.
   For you have been a fortress for me
     and a refuge in the day of my distress.
17 O my strength, I will sing praises to you,
     for you, O God, are my fortress,
     the God who shows me steadfast love.

2 Kings 9:30-37
Jezebel’s Violent Death
9:30 When Jehu came to Jezreel, Jezebel heard of it; she painted her eyes, and adorned her head, and looked out of the window. 31 As Jehu entered the gate, she said, “Is it peace, Zimri, murderer of your master?” 32 He looked up to the window and said, “Who is on my side? Who?” Two or three eunuchs looked out at him. 33 He said, “Throw her down.” So they threw her down; some of her blood spattered on the wall and on the horses, which trampled on her. 34 Then he went in and ate and drank; he said, “See to that cursed woman and bury her; for she is a king’s daughter.” 35 But when they went to bury her, they found no more of her than the skull and the feet and the palms of her hands. 36 When they came back and told him, he said, “This is the word of the Lord, which he spoke by his servant Elijah the Tishbite, ‘In the territory of Jezreel the dogs shall eat the flesh of Jezebel; 37 the corpse of Jezebel shall be like dung on the field in the territory of Jezreel, so that no one can say, This is Jezebel.’”

Luke 9:37-43a
Jesus Heals a Boy with a Demon
9:37 On the next day, when they had come down from the mountain, a great crowd met him. 38 Just then a man from the crowd shouted, “Teacher, I beg you to look at my son; he is my only child. 39 Suddenly a spirit seizes him, and all at once he shrieks. It convulses him until he foams at the mouth; it mauls him and will scarcely leave him. 40 I begged your disciples to cast it out, but they could not.” 41 Jesus answered, “You faithless and perverse generation, how much longer must I be with you and bear with you? Bring your son here.” 42 While he was coming, the demon dashed him to the ground in convulsions. But Jesus rebuked the unclean spirit, healed the boy, and gave him back to his father. 43a And all were astounded at the greatness of God.

Optional parts of the readings are set off in [square brackets.]

The Bible texts of the Old Testament, Epistle and Gospel lessons are from the New Revised Standard Version Bible, copyright 1989 by the Division of Christian Education of the National Council of the Church of Christ in the USA, and used by permission.

The Daily Lectionary is a three year cyclical lectionary. We are currently in Year C. Beginning with the first Sunday of Advent in 2019, we will be in Year A. The year which ended at Advent 2018 was Year B. These readings complement the Sunday and festival readings: Thursday through Saturday readings help prepare the reader for the Sunday ahead; Monday through Wednesday readings help the reader reflect and digest on what they heard in worship. Revised Common Lectionary Daily Readings, copyright © 2005 Consultation on Common Texts. www.commontexts.org
Jesus Heals a Boy with a Demon

No comments:

Post a Comment