Monday, September 30, 2019

The Daily Prayer for TUESDAY, October 1, 2019


The Daily Prayer
for TUESDAY, October 1, 2019

Thérèse of Lisieux (1873-1897)

Thérèse was born to a middle-class family in Lisieux, France. When she was fifteen, she got special permission to join her two older sisters at the Carmelite monastery in their hometown. When she died of tuberculosis nine years later at the age of twenty-four, she was little known outside her community. At the request of her spiritual director, however, Thérèse had written a memoir of her spiritual journey, titled The Story of a Soul. It became a spiritual classic almost immediately for its powerfully clear articulation of one ordinary person’s desire to give her whole life to Christ by following every moment in the “Little Way” of love and service to one’s neighbors. “After my death,” Therese wrote, “I will let fall a shower of roses. I will spend my heaven in doing good upon earth.”

Thérèse of Lisieux wrote, “My vocation is love! In the heart of the Church, who is my Mother, I will be love. So I shall be everything and so my dreams will be fulfilled—to make Love loved.”

Lord, strengthen our will to heed your commandments. We pray to be found faithful in the smallest things, that you might deem us worthy of more opportunities to serve you. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment