Sunday, December 15, 2019

The Daily Lectionary for MONDAY, December 16, 2019

https://www.biblegateway.com/reading-plans/revised-common-lectionary-semicontinuous/2019/12/16?version=NRSV

The Daily Lectionary
MONDAY, December 16, 2019
(Revised Common Lectionary Year A)

(Hope in God)
Longing for God and His Help in Distress
To the leader. A Maskil of the Korahites.
1  As a deer longs for flowing streams,
     so my soul longs for you, O God.
2  My soul thirsts for God,
     for the living God.
   When shall I come and behold
     the face of God?
3  My tears have been my food
     day and night,
   while people say to me continually,
     “Where is your God?”

4  These things I remember,
     as I pour out my soul:
   how I went with the throng,
     and led them in procession to the house of God,
   with glad shouts and songs of thanksgiving,
     a multitude keeping festival.
5  Why are you cast down, O my soul,
     and why are you disquieted within me?
   Hope in God; for I shall again praise him,
     my help 6 and my God.

   My soul is cast down within me;
     therefore I remember you
   from the land of Jordan and of Hermon,
     from Mount Mizar.
7  Deep calls to deep
     at the thunder of your cataracts;
   all your waves and your billows
     have gone over me.
8  By day the Lord commands his steadfast love,
     and at night his song is with me,
     a prayer to the God of my life.

9  I say to God, my rock,
     “Why have you forgotten me?
   Why must I walk about mournfully
     because the enemy oppresses me?”
10 As with a deadly wound in my body,
     my adversaries taunt me,
   while they say to me continually,
     “Where is your God?”

11 Why are you cast down, O my soul,
     and why are you disquieted within me?
   Hope in God; for I shall again praise him,
     my help and my God.

(The infirm will be healed)
Hope for the Future
17 Shall not Lebanon in a very little while
     become a fruitful field,
     and the fruitful field be regarded as a forest?
18 On that day the deaf shall hear
     the words of a scroll,
   and out of their gloom and darkness
     the eyes of the blind shall see.
19 The meek shall obtain fresh joy in the Lord,
     and the neediest people shall exult in the Holy
         One of Israel.
20 For the tyrant shall be no more,
     and the scoffer shall cease to be;
     all those alert to do evil shall be cut off—
21 those who cause a person to lose a lawsuit,
     who set a trap for the arbiter in the gate,
     and without grounds deny justice to the one in the right.

22 Therefore thus says the Lord, who redeemed Abraham, concerning the house of Jacob:

   No longer shall Jacob be ashamed,
     no longer shall his face grow pale.
23 For when he sees his children,
     the work of my hands, in his midst,
     they will sanctify my name;
   they will sanctify the Holy One of Jacob,
     and will stand in awe of the God of Israel.
24 And those who err in spirit will come to understanding,
     and those who grumble will accept instruction.

(Many people healed by the apostles)
The Apostles Heal Many
5:12 Now many signs and wonders were done among the people through the apostles. And they were all together in Solomon’s Portico. 13 None of the rest dared to join them, but the people held them in high esteem. 14 Yet more than ever believers were added to the Lord, great numbers of both men and women, 15 so that they even carried out the sick into the streets, and laid them on cots and mats, in order that Peter’s shadow might fall on some of them as he came by. 16 A great number of people would also gather from the towns around Jerusalem, bringing the sick and those tormented by unclean spirits, and they were all cured.

Optional parts of the readings are set off in [square brackets.]

The Bible texts of the Old Testament, Epistle and Gospel lessons are from the New Revised Standard Version Bible, copyright 1989 by the Division of Christian Education of the National Council of the Church of Christ in the USA, and used by permission.

The Daily Lectionary is a three year cyclical lectionary. We are currently in Year A. Beginning with the first Sunday of Advent in 2020, we will be in Year B. The year which ended at Advent 2019 was Year C. These readings complement the Sunday and festival readings: Thursday through Saturday readings help prepare the reader for the Sunday ahead; Monday through Wednesday readings help the reader reflect and digest on what they heard in worship. Revised Common Lectionary Daily Readings, copyright © 2005 Consultation on Common Texts. www.commontexts.org
The Daily Lectionary for MONDAY, December 16, 2019
Psalm 42; Isaiah 29:17-24; Acts 5:12-16

No comments:

Post a Comment