Wednesday, February 19, 2020

The Daily Lectionary for THURSDAY, February 20, 2020

https://www.biblegateway.com/reading-plans/revised-common-lectionary-complementary/2020/02/20?version=NIV
Psalm 2; Exodus 6:2-9; Hebrews 8:1-7

The Daily Lectionary
THURSDAY, February 20, 2020
(Revised Common Lectionary Year A)

The one begotten of God
1  Why do the nations conspire
     and the peoples plot in vain?
2  The kings of the earth rise up
     and the rulers band together
     against the Lord and against his anointed, saying,
3  “Let us break their chains
     and throw off their shackles.”

4  The One enthroned in heaven laughs;
     the Lord scoffs at them.
5  He rebukes them in his anger
     and terrifies them in his wrath, saying,
6  “I have installed my king
     on Zion, my holy mountain.”

7 I will proclaim the Lord’s decree:

   He said to me, “You are my son;
     today I have become your father.
8  Ask me,
     and I will make the nations your inheritance,
     the ends of the earth your possession.
9  You will break them with a rod of iron;
     you will dash them to pieces like pottery.”

10 Therefore, you kings, be wise;
     be warned, you rulers of the earth.
11 Serve the Lord with fear
     and celebrate his rule with trembling.
12 Kiss his son, or he will be angry
     and your way will lead to your destruction,
   for his wrath can flare up in a moment.
     Blessed are all who take refuge in him.

God promises deliverance through Moses
6:2 God also said to Moses, “I am the Lord. 3 I appeared to Abraham, to Isaac and to Jacob as God Almighty, but by my name the Lord I did not make myself fully known to them. 4 I also established my covenant with them to give them the land of Canaan, where they resided as foreigners. 5 Moreover, I have heard the groaning of the Israelites, whom the Egyptians are enslaving, and I have remembered my covenant.

6 “Therefore, say to the Israelites: ‘I am the Lord, and I will bring you out from under the yoke of the Egyptians. I will free you from being slaves to them, and I will redeem you with an outstretched arm and with mighty acts of judgment. 7 I will take you as my own people, and I will be your God. Then you will know that I am the Lord your God, who brought you out from under the yoke of the Egyptians. 8 And I will bring you to the land I swore with uplifted hand to give to Abraham, to Isaac and to Jacob. I will give it to you as a possession. I am the Lord.’”

9 Moses reported this to the Israelites, but they did not listen to him because of their discouragement and harsh labor.

Christ the mediator
8:1 Now the main point of what we are saying is this: We do have such a high priest, who sat down at the right hand of the throne of the Majesty in heaven, 2 and who serves in the sanctuary, the true tabernacle set up by the Lord, not by a mere human being.

3 Every high priest is appointed to offer both gifts and sacrifices, and so it was necessary for this one also to have something to offer. 4 If he were on earth, he would not be a priest, for there are already priests who offer the gifts prescribed by the law. 5 They serve at a sanctuary that is a copy and shadow of what is in heaven. This is why Moses was warned when he was about to build the tabernacle: “See to it that you make everything according to the pattern shown you on the mountain.” 6 But in fact the ministry Jesus has received is as superior to theirs as the covenant of which he is mediator is superior to the old one, since the new covenant is established on better promises.

7 For if there had been nothing wrong with that first covenant, no place would have been sought for another.

Optional parts of the readings are set off in [square brackets.]

The Bible texts of the Old Testament, Epistle, and Gospel lessons are from The Holy Bible, New International Version®, NIV® Copyright ©1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

The Daily Lectionary is a three-year cyclical lectionary. We are currently in Year A. Beginning with the first Sunday of Advent in 2020, we will be in Year B. The year which ended at Advent 2019 was Year C. These readings complement the Sunday and festival readings: Thursday through Saturday readings help prepare the reader for the Sunday ahead; Monday through Wednesday readings help the reader reflect and digest what they heard in worship. Revised Common Lectionary Daily Readings, copyright © 2005 Consultation on Common Texts. www.commontexts.org
The Daily Lectionary for THURSDAY, February 20, 2020
Psalm 2; Exodus 6:2-9; Hebrews 8:1-7

No comments:

Post a Comment