Sunday, March 1, 2020

The Daily Lectionary for MONDAY, March 2, 2020

https://www.biblegateway.com/reading-plans/revised-common-lectionary-complementary/2020/03/02?version=NIV
Psalm 32; 1 Kings 19:1-8; Hebrews 2:10-18

The Daily Lectionary
MONDAY, March 2, 2020
(Revised Common Lectionary Year A)

Mercy embraces us
1  Blessed is the one
     whose transgressions are forgiven,
     whose sins are covered.
2  Blessed is the one
     whose sin the Lord does not count against them
     and in whose spirit is no deceit.

3  When I kept silent,
     my bones wasted away
     through my groaning all day long.
4  For day and night
     your hand was heavy on me;
   my strength was sapped
     as in the heat of summer.

5  Then I acknowledged my sin to you
     and did not cover up my iniquity.
   I said, “I will confess
     my transgressions to the Lord.”
   And you forgave
     the guilt of my sin.

6  Therefore let all the faithful pray to you
     while you may be found;
   surely the rising of the mighty waters
     will not reach them.
7  You are my hiding place;
     you will protect me from trouble
     and surround me with songs of deliverance.

8  I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go;
     I will counsel you with my loving eye on you.
9  Do not be like the horse or the mule,
     which have no understanding
   but must be controlled by bit and bridle
     or they will not come to you.
10 Many are the woes of the wicked,
     but the Lord’s unfailing love
     surrounds the one who trusts in him.

11 Rejoice in the Lord and be glad, you righteous;
     sing, all you who are upright in heart!

An angel feeds Elijah in the wilderness
19:1 Now Ahab told Jezebel everything Elijah had done and how he had killed all the prophets with the sword. 2 So Jezebel sent a messenger to Elijah to say, “May the gods deal with me, be it ever so severely, if by this time tomorrow I do not make your life like that of one of them.”

3 Elijah was afraid and ran for his life. When he came to Beersheba in Judah, he left his servant there, 4 while he himself went a day’s journey into the wilderness. He came to a broom bush, sat down under it and prayed that he might die. “I have had enough, Lord,” he said. “Take my life; I am no better than my ancestors.” 5 Then he lay down under the bush and fell asleep.

All at once an angel touched him and said, “Get up and eat.” 6 He looked around, and there by his head was some bread baked over hot coals, and a jar of water. He ate and drank and then lay down again.

7 The angel of the Lord came back a second time and touched him and said, “Get up and eat, for the journey is too much for you.” 8 So he got up and ate and drank. Strengthened by that food, he traveled forty days and forty nights until he reached Horeb, the mountain of God.

Christ goes before us in suffering
2:10 In bringing many sons and daughters to glory, it was fitting that God, for whom and through whom everything exists, should make the pioneer of their salvation perfect through what he suffered. 11 Both the one who makes people holy and those who are made holy are of the same family. So Jesus is not ashamed to call them brothers and sisters. 12 He says,

   “I will declare your name to my brothers and sisters;
     in the assembly I will sing your praises.”

13 And again,

   “I will put my trust in him.”

And again he says,

   “Here am I, and the children God has given me.”

14 Since the children have flesh and blood, he too shared in their humanity so that by his death he might break the power of him who holds the power of death—that is, the devil— 15 and free those who all their lives were held in slavery by their fear of death. 16 For surely it is not angels he helps, but Abraham’s descendants. 17 For this reason he had to be made like them, fully human in every way, in order that he might become a merciful and faithful high priest in service to God, and that he might make atonement for the sins of the people. 18 Because he himself suffered when he was tempted, he is able to help those who are being tempted.

Optional parts of the readings are set off in [square brackets.]

The Bible texts of the Old Testament, Epistle, and Gospel lessons are from The Holy Bible, New International Version®, NIV® Copyright ©1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

The Daily Lectionary is a three-year cyclical lectionary. We are currently in Year A. Beginning with the first Sunday of Advent in 2020, we will be in Year B. The year which ended at Advent 2019 was Year C. These readings complement the Sunday and festival readings: Thursday through Saturday readings help prepare the reader for the Sunday ahead; Monday through Wednesday readings help the reader reflect and digest what they heard in worship. Revised Common Lectionary Daily Readings, copyright © 2005 Consultation on Common Texts. www.commontexts.org
The Daily Lectionary for MONDAY, March 2, 2020
Psalm 32; 1 Kings 19:1-8; Hebrews 2:10-18

No comments:

Post a Comment