Wednesday, March 11, 2020

The Daily Prayer for THURSDAY, March 12, 2020

https://www.amazon.com/Common-Prayer-Liturgy-Ordinary-Radicals/dp/0310326192
The Daily Prayer
THURSDAY, March 12, 2020

Maximilian of Thavaste (d. 295)

Maximilian, the son of a Roman soldier in present-day Algeria, was required to join the army at the age of twenty-one. Before the court of the Roman proconsul Dion, Maximilian testified, “I cannot enlist for I am a Christian. I cannot serve, I cannot do evil.” Because of his refusal he was beheaded.

Also noteworthy: this is the day that Jesuit priest Rutilio Grande was murdered in El Salvador, a pivotal moment in Salvadoran history and for the witness of the church in Latin America.

Maximilian of Thavaste said, “You can cut off my head, but I will not be a soldier of this world, for I am a soldier of Christ.”

Lord, help us examine ourselves and see if we are willing to give all for you. Search our hearts and convict us where there is still fear, self-preoccupation, and lack of trust. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment