Wednesday, April 22, 2020

The Daily Prayer for THURSDAY, April 23, 2020

https://biblegateway.christianbook.com/common-prayer-liturgy-for-ordinary-radicals/shane-claiborne/9780310326199/pd/326199
The Daily Prayer
THURSDAY, April 23, 2020

Cesar Chavez (1927—1993)

Cesar Chavez was a Latino farmworker in the United States who organized the United Farmworkers Union (UFW). Inspired by a priest who taught him God’s desire for social justice, Chavez gave himself to voluntary poverty and a nonviolent struggle on behalf of America’s poorest and most exploited workers. “When you sacrifice, you force others to sacrifice,” he said. “It’s an extremely powerful weapon.”

A prayer by Cesar Chavez: “Show me the suffering of the most miserable, so I will know my people’s plight. Free me to pray for others, for you are present in every person. Help me take responsibility for my own life so that I can be free at last. Grant me the courage to serve others, for in service there is true life. Give me honesty and patience, so that the Spirit will be alive among us. Let the Spirit flourish and grow so that we will never tire of the struggle. Let us remember those who have died for justice, for they have given us life. Help us love even those who hate us, so we can change the world. Amen.”

Loving God, teach us to order the desires of our hearts according to the call to do justice, love kindness, and walk humbly with you. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment