Sunday, April 7, 2024

Verse of the Day for Sunday, April 7, 2024

 

Verse of the Day
Sunday, April 7, 2024

Galatians 2:20
I have been crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.
Galatians 2:20 is a profound verse found in the New Testament, specifically in Paul's letter to the Galatians. This letter was written by the Apostle Paul to the churches in Galatia, a region in modern-day Turkey. The key themes of the letter revolve around the concepts of faith, law, and Christian liberty. In the broader context of the letter, Paul is addressing the issue of Judaizers who were asserting that Gentile Christians must observe the Jewish law, particularly the rite of circumcision, in order to be fully accepted into the Christian faith. Galatians 2:20 is part of a larger argument where Paul defends the doctrine of justification by faith in Christ alone, apart from the works of the law.


This verse captures the essence of Christian identity and faith. The phrase "I have been crucified with Christ" symbolizes the believer's union with Christ in His death. This signifies a definitive break with the past—the old self, bound by sin and the law, is viewed as having died with Christ on the cross. The life that Paul, and by extension all believers, now live is fundamentally different from the one before faith in Christ.

The statement "it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me" reflects the transformative power of faith in Christ. This is a profound mystical union where the believer's life is now intertwined with Christ's. This does not mean the obliteration of the believer's personality or individuality, but rather a reorientation and transformation of life in accordance with Christ's presence and guidance.

Furthermore, the phrase "And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me" indicates that while the believer is still living a physical, earthly life ('in the flesh'), this life is now lived through faith in Jesus Christ. This part of the verse emphasizes the personal nature of Christ's sacrifice ("who loved me and gave himself for me") and underscores the importance of faith in the Christian life. It's a faith that is not just belief in doctrines, but a lived, active trust in Christ, informed by His love and sacrifice.

In summary, Galatians 2:20 is a powerful expression of Christian identity and the transformative effect of faith in Jesus Christ. It speaks of dying to the old self and living a new life characterized by faith and union with Christ. This verse remains a cornerstone for understanding the Christian experience of salvation and sanctification.

The Bible texts are from the New Revised Standard Version (NRSV) Bible, copyright © 1989, 1993 the Division of Christian Education of the National Council of the Churches of Christ in the United States of America. Used by permission. All rights reserved. Commentary by Kenny Sallee, ThM.
Click on the image to reveal the meaning and insights of this verse…

No comments:

Post a Comment