Embark on a journey through the scriptures with biblical scholar Kenny Sallee as your guide. With a Master's degree in Theology and a passion for biblical studies, Kenny offers insightful commentary, profound reflections, and enriching discussions. Whether you're a seasoned scholar or a curious seeker, this platform provides a space for deepening your understanding of the Bible and growing in faith. Join us as we explore the timeless truths of God's Word together.

Saturday, March 1, 2025

Daily Devotions for Saturday, March 1, 2025: When the Darkness Overwhelms

 

The Daily Devotional

Saturday, March 1, 2025

When the Darkness Overwhelms

My God, my God, why have you forsaken me? Why are you so far from helping me, from the words of my groaning? (Psalm 22:1)

Introduction

There are moments in life when we feel utterly lost, abandoned, and without hope. Even those with a strong faith can find themselves crying out to God in anguish, questioning why He feels so distant. The words of Psalm 22, echoed by Jesus on the cross, remind us that even the most faithful have experienced deep despair.

Reflection

March 1st is a day forever etched in my heart—a solemn reminder of profound loss, grief, and sorrow, marking the passing of my beloved wife, Nancy. It was the second time my world crumbled beneath me. Ten years earlier, I had endured what I thought was the darkest day of my life—the day my wife, Barbara, passed away. I never imagined anything could rival that pain—until I was forced to walk that heartbreaking path once more.

I was a total mess. I felt lost, abandoned, and disoriented. I questioned God, asking why He would take away the love of my life—again. I couldn't understand His plan, and honestly, I didn’t care. The weight of grief was so heavy that I could barely function. My prayers felt hollow, my faith felt weak, and I wondered if I would ever feel whole again.

This reminds me of a story about a man who lost everything in a terrible storm. He stood among the ruins of his home, weeping, overwhelmed by loss. A friend came and simply sat with him, offering no words, just presence. Days later, the man finally whispered, "I thought God had abandoned me, but now I realize He was here all along—in the silence, in the presence of those who stayed with me, in the love that still surrounded me."

Application

Grief has a way of isolating us, making us believe we are alone in our suffering. But God is present—even when we don’t feel Him. He is in the hands that hold us, in the prayers that are whispered on our behalf, and in the moments when we least expect His comfort.

If you are facing deep grief, allow yourself to be honest with God. Cry out, question, wrestle with the pain. And when the silence feels deafening, trust that He is still with you. Healing is not immediate, and the loss never fully fades, but God walks with us through every shadowed valley.

Conclusion

Looking back, I still grieve. The pain has not disappeared, but I have learned that God was never absent—though my heart couldn't always perceive Him. He was there in the people who supported me, in the unexpected moments of peace, in the strength I didn't think I had. Even on the worst days, He was still holding me.

Prayer

Heavenly Father, on this difficult day, I bring my grief before You. I don’t always understand Your ways, and sometimes my heart feels abandoned in sorrow. But I trust that You are near, even when I cannot feel Your presence. Give me the strength to carry this loss, to find hope in the midst of my pain, and to remember that You are always walking with me. Surround those who grieve with Your love, and remind us that even in our darkest moments, we are never alone. In Jesus' name, Amen.


Devotional by: Kenny Sallee, ThM — Deming, NM, USA

The Bible texts are from the New Revised Standard Version Bible (NRSV)© 1989, 1993, the Division of Christian Education of the National Council of the Churches of Christ in the United States of America. Used by permission. All rights reserved.


No comments:

Post a Comment