Praying the Scriptures
Monday Evening Prayer
March 3, 2025
Then he said to them all, “If any want to become my followers, let them deny themselves and take up their cross daily and follow me. For those who want to save their life will lose it, and those who lose their life for my sake will save it.” (Luke 9:23–24)
Gracious Lord,
As the desert sky fades from fiery orange to the deep indigo of night, I pause beneath the vast heavens to seek Your presence. The winds whisper through the mesquite, and the stars emerge like the promise of Your steadfast love. In the quiet of this moment, I come before You, humbled and longing to follow You more fully.
You have called me to deny myself, to take up my cross daily, and to follow You. Yet, Lord, I confess that I often hesitate. The weight of my own desires and fears slows my steps. But tonight, as I gaze upon the endless sky, I remember that You have set the path before me. You remind me that in surrender, I find true life. Teach me, O Christ, to release my grip on the fleeting things of this world and to trust in the life You offer.
Here in this land of rugged beauty, where mountains stand as sentinels and the desert blooms in its season, I am reminded of Your faithfulness. Even in the barren places, You bring forth life. Even in my weakness, You are my strength.
As I rest beneath Your watchful eye, I pray for the courage to walk in Your footsteps tomorrow. Let my heart be steadfast in love, my hands ready for service, and my spirit open to Your will. May I embrace the cross You have given me, not with reluctance, but with joy, knowing that in losing myself for Your sake, I will find the fullness of life.
Keep me through the night, O Lord, and awaken me to a new day, ready to follow You once more.
In the name of Jesus, who walked the road before me, I pray.
Amen.
May this prayer bring solace and inspiration as you end your day in reflection and peace.
The Bible passages come from the New Revised Standard Version (NRSV) Bible, copyrighted © 1989, 1993 by the Division of Christian Education of the National Council of the Churches of Christ in the United States of America and are used by permission. All rights reserved. Praying the Scriptures is penned daily by Kenny Sallee, ThM.

No comments:
Post a Comment