Praying the Scriptures
Sunday Evening Prayer
March 2, 2025
Beloved, do not be surprised at the fiery ordeal that is taking place among you to test you, as though something strange were happening to you. But rejoice insofar as you are sharing Christ’s sufferings, so that you may also be glad and shout for joy when his glory is revealed. (1 Peter 4:12-13)
Gracious and Almighty God,
As the March sun sets behind the rugged mountains, painting the sky with hues of amber and violet, I come before You in the stillness of this southwestern evening. The desert breeze whispers through the mesquite, and the land, though dry and rugged, pulses with life, a quiet testament to Your sustaining hand.
Lord, You have spoken through Your servant Peter, reminding me not to be surprised at the fiery trials that come my way, as though something strange were happening to me. Yet, in my frailty, I often flinch at suffering. The weight of burdens, the sting of rejection, the trials that shape my journey—they press upon me like the heat of the noonday sun.
But, O Lord, You call me not to despair, but to rejoice. To rejoice in suffering? It is a hard lesson, yet You assure me that in sharing Christ’s sufferings, I also share in His glory. Let my spirit rise in trust, like the desert rain reviving the thirsty earth. When troubles come, may I see them as refining fire, shaping me more fully into Your likeness. When my heart is weary, remind me that Your presence is near, steady as the mountains, sure as the coming dawn.
Tonight, as the stars begin to pierce the vast expanse above, let them remind me of Your promises—unchanging, steadfast, eternal. I place my hope in You, knowing that the trials of this life are but a momentary journey leading to a joy beyond all imagining.
Keep me, O Lord, in the shelter of Your mercy. Let my faith remain firm, my love for others steadfast, and my hope unshaken, until the day I see You in the fullness of Your glory.
In the name of Jesus, my Redeemer and Strength, I pray.
Amen.
May this prayer bring peace and comfort to your evening.
The Bible passages come from the New Revised Standard Version (NRSV) Bible, copyrighted © 1989, 1993 by the Division of Christian Education of the National Council of the Churches of Christ in the United States of America and are used by permission. All rights reserved. Praying the Scriptures is penned daily by Kenny Sallee, ThM.

No comments:
Post a Comment