Saturday, January 16, 2016

Meditation for January 16, 2016

John 2:15 Making a whip of cords, he drove all of them out of the temple, both the sheep and the cattle. He also poured out the coins of the money changers and overturned their tables.

The number of things I find to be outraged about on a daily basis sometimes overwhelms me. In the wash of conflict that comes through my news feed and social media, I am often tempted to give up, to give in to silence and apathy. What we say (and do not say) matters. 

Silence and apathy are expressions of hopelessness. Instead of giving up hope, I do my best to speak out of the hope that change will come. I do my best to make my own whip of cords—sometimes speaking out on social media about my concerns, marching in demonstrations, voting as often as possible, debating with my friends about our world and what’s happening in it. Small things, yes, but I hope some of the tables are overturned when I’m done. Jesus reminds us that sometimes we have to overturn the tables that stand in the way of justice, peace, and mercy.

Almighty God, you have created us in your own image: Grant us grace fearlessly to contend against evil and to make no peace with oppression; and, that we may reverently use our freedom, help us to employ it in the maintenance of justice in our communities and among the nations, to the glory of your holy Name; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and for ever. Amen.