Friday, February 19, 2016

Daily Meditation for February 19, 2016

From Forward Day by Day

Psalm 40:1 I waited patiently upon the LORD, he stooped to me and heard my cry.

Faced with a problem, I want to make lists and take action. Waiting makes me fidgety. But sometimes tasks can’t be managed through immediate action.

I am on the board of directors of a nascent nonprofit organization. Right now, the project feels impossible. I have no idea how our goals can be achieved in the morass of money questions and utility issues and insurance details. I want lists, but the project is so big that I don’t even know what to put on a list.

The chair of the board, who has launched successful nonprofits in the past, assures me that this response is normal. She doesn’t just wait for things to work out, but she does know how to put one foot in front of the other. That seems to be how things work sometimes. To serve God, we often have to figure out how to persevere and wait at the same time.