Sunday, February 21, 2016

Daily Meditation for February 21, 2016 - Second Sunday of Lent

 From Forward Day by Day

Psalm 27:14 Though my father and my mother forsake me, the LORD will sustain me.

I read this morning about a boy whose life with his birth parents became horrific. One night, feverish with untreated pneumonia, he contacted a friend, telling her he was seriously considering suicide. The friend’s mother saw the chat window on the computer, jumped in the car, drove to the child’s house, and brought him home with her. Soon afterward, she and her family adopted the boy.

That story reminded me of another family I knew whose neighbor had escaped Vietnam after the war. After several years, the neighbor’s wife died, leaving him with six children. The man tried to raise them, but one day, my friends answered the door to find six children at their doorstep. The children explained that the father had made them leave, and they had nowhere to go. My friends welcomed them in and soon adopted them; the way my friend told the story, they didn’t even discuss it much.

God sustains forsaken children in mysterious and miraculous ways.