Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Daily Meditation for March 2, 2016

From Forward Day by Day

Psalm 119:97 Oh, how I love your law! All the day long it is in my mind.

In practice, I tend to think about rights more than laws. I am grateful to live in a country with freedom of speech, freedom to practice my religion, and many other freedoms. A couple of times in my life, I received speeding tickets. At the moment I saw those flashing lights in the rearview mirror, I was not feeling grateful for laws. But I have to also think about how that 25 miles per hour speed limit keeps a neighborhood safe. As frustrating as that ticket is, the consequences of breaking a law are there to encourage us all to obey a reasonable law.

I imagine many Christians treasure our freedom in Christ. We like to think about the things we can do, the ways God will love us no matter what. But there is also a great blessing in God’s law, knowing that by following God’s law, we are encouraged to keep our world and ourselves safe.