Sunday, April 10, 2016

Daily Meditation for April 10, 2016 - Third Sunday of Easter

From Forward Day by Day

Psalm 30:6 Weeping may spend the night, but joy comes in the morning.

During my time at seminary, a fellow student died. As we planned his funeral, it felt much more like Good Friday than Easter. I wanted to mourn, not sing alleluias. I wanted to turn away from talk of resurrection so I could wallow in the darkness of death.

Years later, I am thankful for the alleluias we chose to sing as we said goodbye to our friend. The funeral liturgy helps orient our dark Fridays toward the light of Easter Sunday. It sets us on a course. It is a needed reminder of the joy that comes in the morning, from others who, like the psalmist, have lived through the night of weeping to arrive at the joy of morning.

When I look back and remember our friend, I remember his joy, and I seek to honor his life by living a life of joy. I seek to hold the candle for others to see through the night and hold onto a hope for the light of an Easter morning.