Sunday, April 3, 2016

Daily Meditation for April 3, 2016 - Second Sunday of Easter

From Forward Day by Day

Revelation 1:8 “I am the Alpha and Omega,” says the LORD God, who is and who was and who is to come, the Almighty.”

The door handles of Trinity by the Sea Episcopal Church in Port Aransas, Texas, bear the Greek letters Alpha and Omega. They are a beautiful mosaic of blue and gold. When I notice them, I remember that to enter into the church building is to enter into the mysterious presence of God.

The door handles work going the other way, too. Out into the world. If Christ is the Alpha and Omega, then where is Christ not? He’s here in this step, and the next. Present above and below, to my left and right, as Saint Patrick might explain it. I need little reminders like that, because I can lose sight of God’s presence, and I can forget that God’s Spirit is as close as the next breath. I need prompts like beautiful door handles that remind me that I enter into God’s presence every time I walk in our church—and I enter into God’s presence every time I walk out. I need reminders that wherever I go, and whomever I am with, Christ Almighty, the Alpha and Omega, who is, and was, and is to come, is present.