Monday, April 4, 2016

Daily Meditation for April 4, 2016 - The Annunciation

From Forward Day by Day

Hebrews 10:10 And it is by God’s will that we have been sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all.

A friend of mine recently introduced me to the concept of the “resistance to the call.” I was struggling with an opportunity that had come to me and didn’t understand why I was the one being asked. “Why me?” I pondered. “I’m too new…I don’t have the training or experience…I don’t have time.”

The community that the author of Hebrews was addressing may have had a similar resistance to their calling. Maybe the excuse went something like, “I haven’t made the right sacrifices.” They were stuck. We might add to their excuses: “I haven’t read the Bible enough…I don’t pray enough…I’m not good enough.”

To those excuses and to all the clever (if heartfelt) excuses we come up with, the reading from Hebrews reminds us, “once for all.” It’s not up to our being anything-enough. It is about our call, and Jesus Christ is all the sacrifice ever needed. When I learned about the resistance, I forgave myself and accepted the call. Christ is enough. Once for all.