Friday, April 29, 2016

The Daily Meditation for April 29, 2016

From Forward Day by Day

Leviticus 23:3b But the seventh day is a sabbath of complete rest.

Sometimes words creep into conversations that seem to come from somewhere else. Once, after a lot of travel, I told a friend, “I need to go let my soul catch up with my body.” That moment of insight comes back again and again when I am doing too much.

I am grateful that our tradition commands us to take solemn rest. It may be the most countercultural commandment. God set the model. I need the reminder and commandment to rest; otherwise I could be used up. Instead I remember, from time to time, to metaphorically let my soul catch up with my body.

 
Join more than a half million readers worldwide who use Forward Day by Day as a resource for daily prayer and Bible study.