Thursday, May 12, 2016

The Daily Meditation for May 12, 2016

From Forward Day by Day

Zechariah 4:5 Then the angel who talked with me answered me, “Do you not know what these are?” I said, “No, my lord.”

I was on retreat with several clergy and in the midst of serving in a very challenging ministry situation. Life felt overwhelming. We went to a scenic area to pray Evening Prayer as the sun set. We each laid hands on one another in healing and hope. To commemorate this holy moment, one priest found some stones and shared them with us.

I carried that small stone with me as I entered the search process for a new church, knowing the prayers, love, and support of friends went with me. When I’m overwhelmed or tired from all that is life, I hold this stone as I pray and feel the healing and hope it symbolizes.

Ours is a faith of symbols. They represent ideas and beliefs that our words are woefully inadequate to express. Some can be obvious, like the cross. Some, like my stone, hold meaning only for an individual.

What symbols in your life remind you of hope and love?

 
 Join more than a half million readers worldwide who use Forward Day by Day as a resource for daily prayer and Bible study.