Wednesday, July 24, 2019

LHM Daily Devotions - July 25, 2019 "What We Ask"

https://www.lhm.org/dailydevotions/default.asp?date=20190725

"What We Ask"

Jul. 25, 2019

And He (Jesus) said to them, "Which of you who has a friend will go to him at midnight and say to him, 'Friend, lend me three loaves, for a friend of mine has arrived on a journey, and I have nothing to set before him'; and he will answer from within, 'Do not bother me; the door is now shut, and my children are with me in bed. I cannot get up and give you anything'? I tell you, though he will not get up and give him anything because he is his friend, yet because of his impudence he will rise and give him whatever he needs. And I tell you, ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives, and the one who seeks finds, and to the one who knocks it will be opened. What father among you, if his son asks for a fish, will instead of a fish give him a serpent; or if he asks for an egg, will give him a scorpion? If you then, who are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will the Heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask Him!"
~ Luke 11:5-13 (ESV)

"And I tell you, ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives, and the one who seeks finds, and to the one who knocks it will be opened."

What does Jesus mean?

I ask this question as I sit at my desk, just after hanging up the phone. My sister is dying. She may die tonight. I know, oh, I know, what I would ask God for. And He knows, too. I've asked Him already, a million times. I cannot help asking. He knows this. And I know He loves her. But she is still dying, and my prayers seem to be getting a clear "No."

I'm still going to ask.

So what does Jesus mean? Clearly, it is not "Ask for anything and God will have to give it to you, exactly as you wish it, when you wish it, in the way you wish it." Jesus Himself heard that divine "No" when He prayed for the cup of suffering to pass Him by. It didn't pass Him. It won't pass me.

But as I push and pull at the text, prying, scrabbling, trying to get some sense out of His words, I see this. Everyone who asks, receives. Yes, but what do they receive? Apparently, not the thing they ask for, not always. Yet they will receive something. And that something will be good: "What father among you, if his son asks for a fish, will instead of a fish give him a serpent; or if he asks for an egg, will give him a scorpion?"

I will not get what I am asking for—not unless an incredible miracle happens. And yet I will receive something—something good. My sister will receive something good. She is a child of God, a sinner redeemed by Jesus our Savior. He lay down His life for her. He will certainly give her life, and life that will last forever.

If not healing, something better. That is what we are promised. If not her continued life on earth, then certainly her life in the presence of Jesus in heaven. God will not give us something worse than what we ask for. We are trusting in Him.

THE PRAYER: Dear Lord, have mercy on us who are in great need, and answer our prayer in the best way-the way You will. In Jesus' Name. Amen.

Reflection Questions:
  • How do you react when people ask something of you on the spur of the moment?
  • Do you think all who ask, seek, and knock receive answers they can comprehend from God?
  • How do we remain steadfast in our faith when we are in deep need of God's intervention, but nothing seems to be happening?

This Daily Devotion was written by Dr. Kari Vo. Use these devotions in your newsletter and bulletin! Used by permission; all rights reserved by the Int'l LLL (LHM).
How do you react when people ask something of you on the spur of the moment?

No comments:

Post a Comment