Monday, March 22, 2021

The Daily Bible Readings for Tuesday, March 23, 2021

 
 
The Daily Bible Readings
Tuesday, March 23, 2021
Psalm 119:9-16; Isaiah 44:1-8; Acts 2:14-24
The Holy Bible, New International Version®, NIV®

Today’s Verse-of-the-Day:
Blessed is the one who perseveres under trial because, having stood the test, that person will receive the crown of life that the Lord has promised to those who love him.
Blessed is anyone who… A common Jewish literary form, which we call a beatitude. trial… The Greek term does not imply that the tester necessarily wants the person to fail; e.g., when God tests he desires perseverance. Specific trials in view in this context (although the principle extends beyond them) include poverty and oppression.

Today’s Readings:
Psalm 119:9-16
I treasure your promise in my heart


9 How can a young person stay on the path of purity?
     By living according to your word.
10 I seek you with all my heart;
      do not let me stray from your commands.
11 I have hidden your word in my heart
      that I might not sin against you.
12 Praise be to you, Lord;
      teach me your decrees.
13 With my lips I recount
      all the laws that come from your mouth.
14 I rejoice in following your statutes
      as one rejoices in great riches.
15 I meditate on your precepts
      and consider your ways.
16 I delight in your decrees;
      I will not neglect your word.


Commentary
To original corruption all have added actual sin. The ruin of the young is either living by no rule at all, or choosing false rules: let them walk by Scripture rules. To doubt of our own wisdom and strength, and to depend upon God, proves the purpose of holiness is sincere. God's word is treasure worth laying up, and there is no laying it up safe but in our hearts, that we may oppose God's precepts to the dominion of sin, his promises to its allurements, and his threatenings to its violence. Let this be our plea with Him to teach us his statutes, that, being partakers of his holiness, we may also partake of his blessedness. And those whose hearts are fed with the bread of life, should with their lips feed many. In the way of God's commandments there is the unsearchable riches of Christ. But we do not meditate on God's precepts to good purpose, unless our good thoughts produce good works. I will not only think of thy statutes, but do them with delight. And it will be well to try the sincerity of our obedience by tracing the spring of it; the reality of our love by cheerfulness in appointed duties.


Isaiah 44:1-8
God gives life to the people

1 “But now listen, Jacob, my servant,
     Israel, whom I have chosen.
2 This is what the Lord says—
     he who made you, who formed you in the womb,
     and who will help you:
  Do not be afraid, Jacob, my servant,
     Jeshurun, whom I have chosen.
3 For I will pour water on the thirsty land,
     and streams on the dry ground;
  I will pour out my Spirit on your offspring,
     and my blessing on your descendants.
4 They will spring up like grass in a meadow,
     like poplar trees by flowing streams.
5 Some will say, ‘I belong to the Lord’;
     others will call themselves by the name of Jacob;
  still others will write on their hand, ‘The Lord’s,’
     and will take the name Israel.

6 “This is what the Lord says—
     Israel’s King and Redeemer, the Lord Almighty:
  I am the first and I am the last;
     apart from me there is no God.
7 Who then is like me? Let him proclaim it.
     Let him declare and lay out before me
  what has happened since I established my ancient people,
     and what is yet to come—
     yes, let them foretell what will come.
8 Do not tremble, do not be afraid.
     Did I not proclaim this and foretell it long ago?
  You are my witnesses. Is there any God besides me?
     No, there is no other Rock; I know not one.”


Commentary
Israel is here called Jeshurun, which means “the upright one.” Such only are Israelites indeed, in whom is no guile. Those that serve God he will own. He will help them over difficulties, and in their services. Water is the emblem of the Holy Spirit; as water refreshes, cleanses, and makes the earth fruitful, so do his influences the soul. This gift of the Holy Ghost is the great blessing, the plentiful pouring out of which God kept for the latter days. Where God gives his Spirit, he will give all other blessings. Hereby shall be a great increase of the church; thus it shall be spread to distant places. Was there any other Rock, or Protector, that could defend them? None besides could foretell these things to come, of which God by his prophets gave notice. All was set in order in the Divine predictions, as well as in the Divine purposes. Could any other have done so? Who can compare with Israel's Redeemer and King?


Acts 2:14-24
Peter proclaims the crucified Christ to be alive


2:14 Then Peter stood up with the Eleven, raised his voice and addressed the crowd: “Fellow Jews and all of you who live in Jerusalem, let me explain this to you; listen carefully to what I say. 15 These people are not drunk, as you suppose. It’s only nine in the morning! 16 No, this is what was spoken by the prophet Joel:

17 “‘In the last days, God says,
      I will pour out my Spirit on all people.
   Your sons and daughters will prophesy,
      your young men will see visions,
      your old men will dream dreams.
18 Even on my servants, both men and women,
      I will pour out my Spirit in those days,
      and they will prophesy.
19 I will show wonders in the heavens above
      and signs on the earth below,
      blood and fire and billows of smoke.
20 The sun will be turned to darkness
      and the moon to blood
      before the coming of the great and glorious day of the Lord.
21 And everyone who calls
      on the name of the Lord will be saved.’

22 “Fellow Israelites, listen to this: Jesus of Nazareth was a man accredited by God to you by miracles, wonders and signs, which God did among you through him, as you yourselves know. 23 This man was handed over to you by God’s deliberate plan and foreknowledge; and you, with the help of wicked men, put him to death by nailing him to the cross. 24 But God raised him from the dead, freeing him from the agony of death, because it was impossible for death to keep its hold on him.

Commentary
Peter's sermon shows that he was thoroughly recovered from his fall, and thoroughly restored to the Divine favor; for he who had denied Christ, now boldly confessed him. His account of the miraculous pouring forth of the Spirit, was designed to awaken the hearers to embrace the faith of Christ, and to join themselves to his church. It was the fulfilling the Scripture, and the fruit of Christ's resurrection and ascension, and proof of both. Though Peter was filled with the Holy Ghost, and spake with tongues as the Spirit gave him utterance, yet he did not think to set aside the Scriptures. Christ's scholars never learn above their Bible; and the Spirit is given, not to do away the Scriptures, but to enable us to understand, approve, and obey them. Assuredly none will escape the condemnation of the great day, except those who call upon the name of the Lord, in and through his Son Jesus Christ, as the Savior of sinners, and the Judge of all mankind.



The Bible texts of the Old Testament, Epistle, and Gospel lessons are from The Holy Bible, New International Version®, NIV® Copyright ©1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Commentaries from Matthew Henry's Concise Commentary on the Bible.

The Daily Bible Readings are selected from the Revised Common Lectionary Daily Readings, a three-year cyclical lectionary. We are currently in Year B. Beginning with the first Sunday of Advent in 2021, we will be in Year C. The year which ended at Advent 2020 was Year A. These readings complement the Sunday and festival readings: Thursday through Saturday readings help prepare the reader for the Sunday ahead; Monday through Wednesday readings help the reader reflect and digest what they heard in worship. Revised Common Lectionary Daily Readings, copyright © 2005 Consultation on Common Texts. www.commontexts.org
The Daily Bible Readings for Tuesday, March 23, 2021
Psalm 119:9-16; Isaiah 44:1-8; Acts 2:14-24 (NIV)
with commentaries from Matthew Henry's Concise Commentary on the Bible

No comments:

Post a Comment