Thursday, March 17, 2016

Daily Meditation for March 17, 2016 - Saint Patrick's Day

From Forward Day by Day

Mark 10:21 Jesus, looking at him, loved him and said, “You lack one thing; go, sell what you own, and give the money to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; then come, follow me.”

I've heard quite a few people who claim to be Biblical literalists talk about quite a few things in the Bible. And yet nearly every so-called literalist I know finds a way to fudge this verse. The teaching makes us uncomfortable, so we ignore it.

A couple of years ago, I was blessed with a long conversation with a bishop on a visit to Kenya. I asked him what he thought about The Episcopal Church, because I knew he had been here several times. He said, with great gentleness, “The problem with your church is that you have too much, and it is easy for you to forget God. My people have too little, and we are reminded every day that our very survival depends on God alone.”

I'm wary of anyone who offers an easy answer here. There can be no doubt that possessions can stand between God and us. That bishop’s words haunt me. I am still praying.