Thursday, May 19, 2016

Forward Day by Day Meditation for Thursday, May 19, 2016

Matthew 11:25 At that time Jesus said, “I thank you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because you have hidden these things from the wise and the intelligent and have revealed them to infants.”
We were creating quite the masterpiece until I reached across the canvas and smeared part of the artwork. I sighed, “Well, looks like I messed this up.”

My little niece, her hands covered with every color of paint available, looked at our artwork, took her small fingers, and added a few smears and dots. Then she said, “No, it looks beautiful. You can’t mess this up.” The theology of Easter from a five-year-old. The wise and intelligent observations of infants indeed.

No doubt we try to mess this up—mess up our relationship with God and with each other. We smear each other and God. And every time, God adds paint to our mess, saying, “No, you can’t mess this up.”

I hear the words of my niece every Holy Week, as we humans really mess up, and on Easter Sunday, we hear God say, “No, it looks beautiful. You can’t mess this up.”


 Join more than a half million readers worldwide who use Forward Day by Day as a resource for daily prayer and Bible study