Friday, May 6, 2016

The Daily Meditation for May 6, 2016

From Forward Day by Day

Ephesians 2:8-9 For by grace you have been saved through faith, and this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God—not the result of works, so that no one may boast.

A neighbor has a lavish strawberry garden, which (in her opinion) produces far more strawberries than she can use. This time of year, many of her neighbors arrive home to find pails of delicious strawberries on our front steps.

A gift out of one woman’s generosity and work. We do nothing, except enjoy them.

Her act is one of grace. I did nothing to help grow the strawberries. I didn’t plant them, water them, or even pick them. I just enjoy them in thankfulness. And she expects nothing in return. As she has said so many times, “I’m delighted to be able to share.”

Somehow, the berries always arrive when I’ve had a particularly long, tiring day, and in my weariness, I’m reminded of how wonderful grace is. We simply accept its healing, loving presence. We allow its sweetness to fill us and nourish us. The only expectation is that we accept it.

What acts of grace have appeared in your life? How might you extend grace to those you know?


Join more than a half million readers worldwide who use Forward Day by Day as a resource for daily prayer and Bible study.