Wednesday, October 12, 2016

The Daily Meditation for October 12, 2016

From Forward Day By Day
Written by Scott B. Hayashi

Jonah 1:17 (NRSV) But the LORD provided a large fish to swallow up Jonah; and Jonah was in the belly of the fish three days and three nights.

Today, we find Jonah caught in the belly of a great fish. Some people imagine a Disney version of Pinocchio and Monstro the whale. I imagine Jonah locked in a tight and smelly womb-like stomach, with the large fish’s thunderous beating heart sending shock waves across the membrane. Jonah needs to be reborn into the world. He prays from his place of confinement. “I called to the Lord out of my distress, and he answered me…”

Perhaps you have been similarly trapped in your life. This feeling, this kind of experience, is not uncommon. I have been there myself. Upon relating his own story of distress and confinement, one man told me, “I said to Jesus, ‘If you hold my hand, I will hold on to yours.’ ” And he held on to Jesus, and Jesus held on to him. That made all the difference in his life. It has made all the difference in mine. Can you imagine the difference holding Jesus’ hand, and having him hold yours, would make in your life?

Join more than a half million readers worldwide who use Forward Day by Day as a resource for daily prayer and Bible study.

No comments:

Post a Comment