Thursday, November 3, 2016

The Daily Meditation for November 3, 2016

From Forward Day By Day
Written by Richelle Thompson

Psalm 71:9 (NRSV) Do not cast me off in my old age; forsake me not when my strength fails.

A year ago, my mother faced a critical diagnosis and a risky surgery. She wondered, like we all might, about her legacy. She didn’t write the great American novel, but she read books to me night after night. When money was tight, she made ornaments out of what we had: a pacifier with tinsel, Styrofoam balls covered in pins and beads. We learned what it felt like to deliver Thanksgiving baskets to families who had dirt floors and no heat. She poured warm oil to soothe aching ears and tended to broken hearts. Her mothering, though not perfect, continues to teach me about true love (a great wealth indeed), and I am blessed to still be able to seek her advice and support.

Over the past few days, we have honored the saints, those the Church celebrates with special recognition and those quieter souls whose lives may be smaller, their impacts more localized, but whose righteous deeds, like my mother’s, shall not be forgotten. How can we treasure them today? How might we live in a way that will shape generations to come?

Join more than a half million readers worldwide who use Forward Day by Day as a resource for daily prayer and Bible study.

No comments:

Post a Comment