Wednesday, July 12, 2017

The Daily Readings for WEDNESDAY, July 12, 2017

Peter’s Vision - Acts 10:9-16

Opening Sentence

Send out your light and your truth, that they may lead me, and bring me to your holy hill and to your dwelling. Psalm 43:3

Morning Prayer
ALMIGHTY and everlasting God, in whom I live and move and have my being; I, thy needy creature, render thee my humble praises, for thy preservation of me from the beginning of my life to this day, and especially for having delivered me from the dangers of the past night. For these thy mercies, I bless and magnify thy glorious Name; humbly beseeching thee to accept this my morning sacrifice of praise and thanksgiving; for his sake who lay down in the grave, and rose again for us, thy Son our Saviour Jesus Christ. Amen.

Confession and Forgiveness
Almighty and most merciful Father, we have erred and strayed from Your ways like lost sheep. We have followed too much the devices and desires of our own hearts. We have offended against Your holy laws. We have left undone those things which we ought to have done; and we have done those things which we ought not to have done; and there is nothing good in us. O Lord, have mercy upon us, miserable offenders. Spare those, O God, who confess their faults. Restore those who are penitent; according to Your promises declared unto men in Christ Jesus our Lord. Grant that we may hereafter live a godly, righteous, and sober life; to the glory of His name. Amen.

Today's Readings

The First Reading is taken from 1 Samuel 16:1-13
The LORD said to Samuel, "How long will you grieve over Saul? I have rejected him from being king over Israel. Fill your horn with oil and set out; I will send you to Jesse the Bethlehemite, for I have provided for myself a king among his sons." Samuel said, "How can I go? If Saul hears of it, he will kill me." And the LORD said, "Take a heifer with you, and say, 'I have come to sacrifice to the LORD.' Invite Jesse to the sacrifice, and I will show you what you shall do; and you shall anoint for me the one whom I name to you." Samuel did what the LORD commanded, and came to Bethlehem. The elders of the city came to meet him trembling, and said, "Do you come peaceably?" He said, "Peaceably; I have come to sacrifice to the LORD; sanctify yourselves and come with me to the sacrifice." And he sanctified Jesse and his sons and invited them to the sacrifice. When they came, he looked on Eliab and thought, "Surely the LORD's anointed is now before the LORD." But the LORD said to Samuel, "Do not look on his appearance or on the height of his stature, because I have rejected him; for the LORD does not see as mortals see; they look on the outward appearance, but the LORD looks on the heart." Then Jesse called Abinadab, and made him pass before Samuel. He said, "Neither has the LORD chosen this one." Then Jesse made Shammah pass by. And he said, "Neither has the LORD chosen this one." Jesse made seven of his sons pass before Samuel, and Samuel said to Jesse, "The LORD has not chosen any of these." Samuel said to Jesse, "Are all your sons here?" And he said, "There remains yet the youngest, but he is keeping the sheep." And Samuel said to Jesse, "Send and bring him; for we will not sit down until he comes here." He sent and brought him in. Now he was ruddy, and had beautiful eyes, and was handsome. The LORD said, "Rise and anoint him; for this is the one." Then Samuel took the horn of oil, and anointed him in the presence of his brothers; and the spirit of the LORD came mightily upon David from that day forward. Samuel then set out and went to Ramah.

The Second Reading is taken from Acts 10:1-16
In Caesarea there was a man named Cornelius, a centurion of the Italian Cohort, as it was called. He was a devout man who feared God with all his household; he gave alms generously to the people and prayed constantly to God. One afternoon at about three o'clock he had a vision in which he clearly saw an angel of God coming in and saying to him, "Cornelius." He stared at him in terror and said, "What is it, Lord?" He answered, "Your prayers and your alms have ascended as a memorial before God. Now send men to Joppa for a certain Simon who is called Peter; he is lodging with Simon, a tanner, whose house is by the seaside." When the angel who spoke to him had left, he called two of his slaves and a devout soldier from the ranks of those who served him, and after telling them everything, he sent them to Joppa. About noon the next day, as they were on their journey and approaching the city, Peter went up on the roof to pray. He became hungry and wanted something to eat; and while it was being prepared, he fell into a trance. He saw the heaven opened and something like a large sheet coming down, being lowered to the ground by its four corners. In it were all kinds of four-footed creatures and reptiles and birds of the air. Then he heard a voice saying, "Get up, Peter; kill and eat." But Peter said, "By no means, Lord; for I have never eaten anything that is profane or unclean." The voice said to him again, a second time, "What God has made clean, you must not call profane." This happened three times, and the thing was suddenly taken up to heaven.

The Holy Gospel is written in Luke 24:12-35
But Peter got up and ran to the tomb; stooping and looking in, he saw the linen cloths by themselves; then he went home, amazed at what had happened. Now on that same day two of them were going to a village called Emmaus, about seven miles from Jerusalem, and talking with each other about all these things that had happened. While they were talking and discussing, Jesus himself came near and went with them, but their eyes were kept from recognizing him. And he said to them, "What are you discussing with each other while you walk along?" They stood still, looking sad. Then one of them, whose name was Cleopas, answered him, "Are you the only stranger in Jerusalem who does not know the things that have taken place there in these days?" He asked them, "What things?" They replied, "The things about Jesus of Nazareth, who was a prophet mighty in deed and word before God and all the people, and how our chief priests and leaders handed him over to be condemned to death and crucified him. But we had hoped that he was the one to redeem Israel. Yes, and besides all this, it is now the third day since these things took place. Moreover, some women of our group astounded us. They were at the tomb early this morning, and when they did not find his body there, they came back and told us that they had indeed seen a vision of angels who said that he was alive. Some of those who were with us went to the tomb and found it just as the women had said; but they did not see him." Then he said to them, "Oh, how foolish you are, and how slow of heart to believe all that the prophets have declared! Was it not necessary that the Messiah should suffer these things and then enter into his glory?" Then beginning with Moses and all the prophets, he interpreted to them the things about himself in all the scriptures. As they came near the village to which they were going, he walked ahead as if he were going on. But they urged him strongly, saying, "Stay with us, because it is almost evening and the day is now nearly over." So he went in to stay with them. When he was at the table with them, he took bread, blessed and broke it, and gave it to them. Then their eyes were opened, and they recognized him; and he vanished from their sight. They said to each other, "Were not our hearts burning within us while he was talking to us on the road, while he was opening the scriptures to us?" That same hour they got up and returned to Jerusalem; and they found the eleven and their companions gathered together. They were saying, "The Lord has risen indeed, and he has appeared to Simon!" Then they told what had happened on the road, and how he had been made known to them in the breaking of the bread.

Morning Psalms
Psalm 119: Aleph Beati immaculati
1   Happy are they whose way is blameless, who walk in the law of the LORD!
2   Happy are they who observe his decrees and seek him with all their hearts!
3   Who never do any wrong, but always walk in his ways.
4   You laid down your commandments, that we should fully keep them.
5   Oh, that my ways were made so direct that I might keep your statutes!
6   Then I should not be put to shame, when I regard all your commandments.
7   I will thank you with an unfeigned heart, when I have learned your righteous judgments.
8   I will keep your statutes; do not utterly forsake me.


Psalm 119: Beth In quo corrigit?
9   How shall a young man cleanse his way? By keeping to your words.
10   With my whole heart I seek you; let me not stray from your commandments.
11   I treasure your promise in my heart, that I may not sin against you.
12   Blessed are you, O LORD; instruct me in your statutes.
13   With my lips will I recite all the judgments of your mouth.
14   I have taken greater delight in the way of your decrees than in all manner of riches.
15   I will meditate on your commandments and give attention to your ways.
16   My delight is in your statutes; I will not forget your word.


Psalm 119: Gimel Retribue servo tuo
17   Deal bountifully with your servant, that I may live and keep your word.
18   Open my eyes, that I may see the wonders of your law.
19   I am a stranger here on earth; do not hide your commandments from me.
20   My soul is consumed at all times with longing for your judgments.
21   You have rebuked the insolent; cursed are they who stray from your commandments!
22   Turn from me shame and rebuke, for I have kept your decrees.
23   Even though rulers sit and plot against me, I will meditate on your statutes.
24   For your decrees are my delight, and they are my counselors.

Evening Psalms
Psalm 12 Salvum me fac
1   Help me, LORD, for there is no godly one left; the faithful have vanished from among us.
2   Everyone speaks falsely with his neighbor; with a smooth tongue they speak from a double heart.
3   Oh, that the LORD would cut off all smooth tongues, and close the lips that utter proud boasts!
4   Those who say, "With our tongue will we prevail; our lips are our own; who is lord over us?"
5   Because the needy are oppressed, and the poor cry out in misery, I will rise up, says the LORD, and give them the help they long for.
6   The words of the LORD are pure words, like silver refined from ore and purified seven times in the fire.
7   O LORD, watch over us and save us from this generation for ever.
8   The wicked prowl on every side, and that which is worthless is highly prized by everyone.


Psalm 13 Usquequo, Domine?
1   How long, O LORD? will you forget me for ever? how long will you hide your face from me?
2   How long shall I have perplexity in my mind, and grief in my heart, day after day? how long shall my enemy triumph over me?
3   Look upon me and answer me, O LORD my God; give light to my eyes, lest I sleep in death;
4   Lest my enemy say, "I have prevailed over him, " and my foes rejoice that I have fallen.
5   But I put my trust in your mercy; my heart is joyful because of your saving help.
6   I will sing to the LORD, for he has dealt with me richly; I will praise the Name of the Lord Most High.


Psalm 14 Dixit insipiens
1   The fool has said in his heart, There is no God." All are corrupt and commit abominable acts; there is none who does any good.
2   The LORD looks down from heaven upon us all, to see if there is any who is wise, if there is one who seeks after God.
3   Every one has proved faithless; all alike have turned bad; there is none who does good; no, not one.
4   Have they no knowledge, all those evildoers who eat up my people like bread and do not call upon the LORD?
5   See how they tremble with fear, because God is in the company of the righteous.
6   Their aim is to confound the plans of the afflicted, but the LORD is their refuge.
7   Oh, that Israel's deliverance would come out of Zion! when the LORD restores the fortunes of his people, Jacob will rejoice and Israel be glad.

The Nicene Creed
We believe in one God, the Father, the Almighty, maker of heaven and earth, of all that is, seen and unseen.

We believe in one Lord, Jesus Christ, the only Son of God, eternally begotten of the Father, God from God, Light from Light, true God from true God, begotten, not made, of one Being with the Father. Through him all things were made. For us and for our salvation he came down from heaven: by the power of the Holy Spirit he became incarnate from the Virgin Mary, and was made man. For our sake he was crucified under Pontius Pilate; he suffered death and was buried. On the third day he rose again in accordance with the Scriptures; he ascended into heaven and is seated at the right hand of the Father. He will come again in glory to judge the living and the dead, and his kingdom will have no end.

We believe in the Holy Spirit, the Lord, the giver of life, who proceeds from the Father and the Son. With the Father and the Son he is worshiped and glorified. He has spoken through the Prophets. We believe in one holy catholic and apostolic Church. We acknowledge one baptism for the forgiveness of sins. We look for the resurrection of the dead, and the life of the world to come. Amen.

Prayer of the Day
O God, you have taught us to keep all your commandments by loving you and our neighbor: Grant us the grace of your Holy Spirit, that we may be devoted to you with our whole heart, and united to one another with pure affection; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever. Amen.

Prayer of Thanks for God's Creation
O Lord God of Israel and God of the nations, you are the only God in heaven above or the earth below. I walk before you with all my heart. I bless your name in the morning when I rise and in the evening when I sleep, and all the day when your creation fills my eye. Bless me to remember you this day. When I see and hear the thousand miracles of your creation, let me see them anew, recalling that you have made them, and no other; that I may live in your presence among the common miracles I take for granted. Through Christ I pray, Amen.

A Prayer for Mission
Almighty and everlasting God, by whose Spirit the whole body of your faithful people is governed and sanctified: Receive our supplications and prayers which we offer before you for all members of your holy Church, that in their vocation and ministry they may truly and devoutly serve you; through our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. Amen.

Hooker Family-He is There

Alleluia! Christ has risen.
Christ has risen indeed. Alleluia!

Closing Prayer
Let me not forget you as I go forth into the world this day, blessed Lord; may my every word be a prayer, and my every act be testimony to your love and truth, and may I know your presence every second of this day. Amen.

New Revised Standard Version Bible, copyright 1989, Division of Christian Education of the National Council of the Churches of Christ in the United States of America. Used by permission. All rights reserved. The New Revised Standard Version Bible may be quoted and/or reprinted up to and inclusive of five hundred (500) verses without express written permission of the publisher, provided the verses quoted do not amount to a complete book of the Bible or account for fifty percent (50%) of the total work in which they are quoted.

No comments:

Post a Comment