Wednesday, August 2, 2017

The Daily Readings for WEDNESDAY, August 2, 2017

Christ Walking on Water
Opening Sentence
Send out your light and your truth, that they may lead me, and bring me to your holy hill and to your dwelling. Psalm 43:3

Morning Prayer
I  call upon you, O Lord. In the morning you hear me; in the morning I offer you my prayer, watching and waiting.

I lift my heart to you, O Lord, to be strengthened for this day. Be with me in all I do, my God; guide me in all my ways.

I will carry some burdens today; some trials will be mine. So I wait for your help, Lord, lest I stumble and fall.

I will do my work, Father, the work begun by your Son. He lives in me and I in him; may his work today be done.

Amen.

Confession and Forgiveness
I  confess with faith and adore You, O Light indivisible, Holy Trinity and single Godhead, creator of light and dispeller of darkness. Dispel from my soul the darkness of sin and ignorance, and at this hour enlighten my mind, that I may pray to You according to Your will, and receive from You the fulfillment of my supplications. Have mercy upon Your Creatures and upon me, a great sinner. Amen.

Today's Readings

The First Reading is taken from 2 Samuel 3:22-39
Just then the servants of David arrived with Joab from a raid, bringing much spoil with them. But Abner was not with David at Hebron, for David had dismissed him, and he had gone away in peace. When Joab and all the army that was with him came, it was told Joab, "Abner son of Ner came to the king, and he has dismissed him, and he has gone away in peace." Then Joab went to the king and said, "What have you done? Abner came to you; why did you dismiss him, so that he got away? You know that Abner son of Ner came to deceive you, and to learn your comings and goings and to learn all that you are doing." When Joab came out from David's presence, he sent messengers after Abner, and they brought him back from the cistern of Sirah; but David did not know about it. When Abner returned to Hebron, Joab took him aside in the gateway to speak with him privately, and there he stabbed him in the stomach. So he died for shedding the blood of Asahel, Joab's brother. Afterward, when David heard of it, he said, "I and my kingdom are forever guiltless before the LORD for the blood of Abner son of Ner. May the guilt fall on the head of Joab, and on all his father's house; and may the house of Joab never be without one who has a discharge, or who is leprous, or who holds a spindle, or who falls by the sword, or who lacks food!" So Joab and his brother Abishai murdered Abner because he had killed their brother Asahel in the battle at Gibeon. Then David said to Joab and to all the people who were with him, "Tear your clothes, and put on sackcloth, and mourn over Abner." And King David followed the bier. They buried Abner at Hebron. The king lifted up his voice and wept at the grave of Abner, and all the people wept. The king lamented for Abner, saying, "Should Abner die as a fool dies? Your hands were not bound, your feet were not fettered; as one falls before the wicked you have fallen." And all the people wept over him again. Then all the people came to persuade David to eat something while it was still day; but David swore, saying, "So may God do to me, and more, if I taste bread or anything else before the sun goes down!" All the people took notice of it, and it pleased them; just as everything the king did pleased all the people. So all the people and all Israel understood that day that the king had no part in the killing of Abner son of Ner. And the king said to his servants, "Do you not know that a prince and a great man has fallen this day in Israel? Today I am powerless, even though anointed king; these men, the sons of Zeruiah, are too violent for me. The LORD pay back the one who does wickedly in accordance with his wickedness!"

The Second Reading is taken from Acts 16:16-24
One day, as we were going to the place of prayer, we met a slave-girl who had a spirit of divination and brought her owners a great deal of money by fortune-telling. While she followed Paul and us, she would cry out, "These men are slaves of the Most High God, who proclaim to you a way of salvation." She kept doing this for many days. But Paul, very much annoyed, turned and said to the spirit, "I order you in the name of Jesus Christ to come out of her." And it came out that very hour. But when her owners saw that their hope of making money was gone, they seized Paul and Silas and dragged them into the marketplace before the authorities. When they had brought them before the magistrates, they said, "These men are disturbing our city; they are Jews and are advocating customs that are not lawful for us as Romans to adopt or observe." The crowd joined in attacking them, and the magistrates had them stripped of their clothing and ordered them to be beaten with rods. After they had given them a severe flogging, they threw them into prison and ordered the jailer to keep them securely. Following these instructions, he put them in the innermost cell and fastened their feet in the stocks.

The Holy Gospel is written in Mark 6:47-56
When evening came, the boat was out on the sea, and he was alone on the land. When he saw that they were straining at the oars against an adverse wind, he came towards them early in the morning, walking on the sea. He intended to pass them by. But when they saw him walking on the sea, they thought it was a ghost and cried out; for they all saw him and were terrified. But immediately he spoke to them and said, "Take heart, it is I; do not be afraid." Then he got into the boat with them and the wind ceased. And they were utterly astounded, for they did not understand about the loaves, but their hearts were hardened. When they had crossed over, they came to land at Gennesaret and moored the boat. When they got out of the boat, people at once recognized him, and rushed about that whole region and began to bring the sick on mats to wherever they heard he was. And wherever he went, into villages or cities or farms, they laid the sick in the marketplaces, and begged him that they might touch even the fringe of his cloak; and all who touched it were healed.

Morning Psalms
Psalm 72 Deus, judicium
1   Give the King your justice, O God, and your righteousness to the King's son;
2   That he may rule your people righteously and the poor with justice.
3   That the mountains may bring prosperity to the people, and the little hills bring righteousness.
4   He shall defend the needy among the people; he shall rescue the poor and crush the oppressor.
5   He shall live as long as the sun and moon endure, from one generation to another.
6   He shall come down like rain upon the mown field, like showers that water the earth.
7   In his time shall the righteous flourish; there shall be abundance of peace till the moon shall be no more.
8   He shall rule from sea to sea, and from the River to the ends of the earth.
9   His foes shall bow down before him, and his enemies lick the dust.
10   The kings of Tarshish and of the isles shall pay tribute, and the kings of Arabia and Saba offer gifts.
11   All kings shall bow down before him, and all the nations do him service.
12   For he shall deliver the poor who cries out in distress, and the oppressed who has no helper.
13   He shall have pity on the lowly and poor; he shall preserve the lives of the needy.
14   He shall redeem their lives from oppression and violence, and dear shall their blood be in his sight.
15   Long may he live! and may there be given to him gold from Arabia; may prayer be made for him always, and may they bless him all the day long.
16   May there be abundance of grain on the earth, growing thick even on the hilltops; may its fruit flourish like Lebanon, and its grain like grass upon the earth.
17   May his Name remain for ever and be established as long as the sun endures; may all the nations bless themselves in him and call him blessed.
18   Blessed be the Lord GOD, the God of Israel, who alone does wondrous deeds!
19   And blessed be his glorious Name for ever! and may all the earth be filled with his glory. Amen. Amen.

Evening Psalms
Psalm 119: Yodh Manus tuæ fecerunt me
73   Your hands have made me and fashioned me; give me understanding, that I may learn your commandments.
74   Those who fear you will be glad when they see me, because I trust in your word.
75   I know, O LORD, that your judgments are right and that in faithfulness you have afflicted me.
76   Let your loving-kindness be my comfort, as you have promised to your servant.
77   Let your compassion come to me, that I may live, for your law is my delight.
78   Let the arrogant be put to shame, for they wrong me with lies; but I will meditate on your commandments.
79   Let those who fear you turn to me, and also those who know your decrees.
80   Let my heart be sound in your statutes, that I may not be put to shame.


Psalm 119: Kaph Defecit in salutare
81   My soul has longed for your salvation; I have put my hope in your word.
82   My eyes have failed from watching for your promise, and I say, "When will you comfort me?"
83   I have become like a leather flask in the smoke, but I have not forgotten your statutes.
84   How much longer must I wait? when will you give judgment against those who persecute me?
85   The proud have dug pits for me; they do not keep your law.
86   All your commandments are true; help me, for they persecute me with lies.
87   They had almost made an end of me on earth, but I have not forsaken your commandments.
88   In your loving-kindness, revive me, that I may keep the decrees of your mouth.


Psalm 119: Lamedh In æternum, Domine
89   O LORD, your word is everlasting; it stands firm in the heavens.
90   Your faithfulness remains from one generation to another; you established the earth, and it abides.
91   By your decree these continue to this day, for all things are your servants.
92   If my delight had not been in your law, I should have perished in my affliction.
93   I will never forget your commandments, because by them you give me life.
94   I am yours; oh, that you would save me! for I study your commandments.
95   Though the wicked lie in wait for me to destroy me, I will apply my mind to your decrees.
96   I see that all things come to an end, but your commandment has no bounds.

The Nicene Creed
We believe in one God, the Father, the Almighty, maker of heaven and earth, of all that is, seen and unseen.

We believe in one Lord, Jesus Christ, the only Son of God, eternally begotten of the Father, God from God, Light from Light, true God from true God, begotten, not made, of one Being with the Father. Through him all things were made. For us and for our salvation he came down from heaven: by the power of the Holy Spirit he became incarnate from the Virgin Mary, and was made man. For our sake he was crucified under Pontius Pilate; he suffered death and was buried. On the third day he rose again in accordance with the Scriptures; he ascended into heaven and is seated at the right hand of the Father. He will come again in glory to judge the living and the dead, and his kingdom will have no end.

We believe in the Holy Spirit, the Lord, the giver of life, who proceeds from the Father and the Son. With the Father and the Son he is worshiped and glorified. He has spoken through the Prophets. We believe in one holy catholic and apostolic Church. We acknowledge one baptism for the forgiveness of sins. We look for the resurrection of the dead, and the life of the world to come. Amen.

Prayer of the Day
O God, the protector of all who trust in you, without whom nothing is strong, nothing is holy: Increase and multiply upon us your mercy; that, with you as our ruler and guide, we may so pass through things temporal, that we lose not the things eternal; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever. Amen.

A Prayer for those who Suffer from Prejudice
Holy God, teach me to treat every person with the pure love of Christ. Do not let me hate any person, but to forgive them when they sin, and to disregard every external attribute that prejudices one person against another. For we are all your children, equally loved, although we be sinners all.

And bless those who hate and those who are hated, especially from prejudices against attributes of birth, or appearance, or ability, or any other worldly feature that divides us from one another. Comfort and bless those who suffer such discrimination and do not let them fall into Satan's trap, but give them always a spirit of sincere and pure forgiveness, as Christ forgave those who tortured and murdered Him.

And reform those who say words or commit acts that hurt others; if it be your will, let them see their sin and grow to hate it. Call them to your Spirit and let them be reborn in love and humility through the power of Christ, in whose name I pray, Amen.

A Prayer for Mission
Almighty and everlasting God, by whose Spirit the whole body of your faithful people is governed and sanctified: Receive our supplications and prayers which we offer before you for all members of your holy Church, that in their vocation and ministry they may truly and devoutly serve you; through our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. Amen.


Alleluia! Christ has risen.
Christ has risen indeed. Alleluia!

Closing Prayer
Into your hands, O Lord, Jesus Christ, my God, I commend my spirit. Bless me and all those who pray in faith of You this day; save us and grant unto us everlasting life. Amen.

New Revised Standard Version Bible, copyright 1989, Division of Christian Education of the National Council of the Churches of Christ in the United States of America. Used by permission. All rights reserved. The New Revised Standard Version Bible may be quoted and/or reprinted up to and inclusive of five hundred (500) verses without express written permission of the publisher, provided the verses quoted do not amount to a complete book of the Bible or account for fifty percent (50%) of the total work in which they are quoted.

No comments:

Post a Comment