Thursday, May 28, 2020

LHM Daily Devotions May 29, 2020 - "A Prayer in Times of Uncertainty"

https://www.lhm.org/dailydevotions/default.asp?date=20200529

Daily Devotions from Lutheran Hour Ministries

"A Prayer in Times of Uncertainty"

May 29, 2020

Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD, whose trust is the LORD. He is like a tree planted by water, that sends out its roots by the stream, and does not fear when heat comes, for its leaves remain green, and is not anxious in the year of drought, for it does not cease to bear fruit.

Well, Lord, where do we go from here? You've shown me again and again that You love me and that You have a plan for my life. I really want Your plan, Lord, because I trust Your wisdom and love far more than I trust my own insight.

The problem right now is that I'm afraid I'll miss that plan. A thick haze has drifted in and settled down in my mind, obscuring Your will and clouding my thinking. Yet, I need to make this decision soon. Lord, I can't put it off much longer.

I feel a little bit like Abraham. You told him to go and You promised to bless him. But Lord, there were still many details Abraham didn't know at the onset (see Genesis 12:1-3). I don't recognize any road markers either. Lord, I wish I had a compass and a map. I've searched in vain for sky-writing.

Abraham went, Lord, not knowing exactly where but trusting You to show him the way because You promised to go with him. And You blessed him for stepping out in faith (see Hebrews 11:8-10). I, too, look to You in faith, trusting Jesus as my Lord and Savior, and I have been promised the Holy Spirit to guide me (see John 14:16).

With Your promise of guidance, my not knowing the final outcome doesn't seem as frightening when I keep Your Word in mind (see Psalm 27; John 14:1-27). Please give me the kind of faith that trusts You implicitly, Lord. You've shown me the pros and cons of this situation as we've talked it over together in prayer. I always feel especially lonely in times of uncertainly, so You've give me Christian friends with whom to share my feelings. Thank You for their patient concern and godly wisdom.

But they can only advise, Lord, and finally, it comes down to simply trusting You. As the writer of Proverbs tells us, "Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make straight your paths" (Proverbs 3:5-6).

Bless me with this kind of wisdom, clarity of thought, and humbly receptive spirit. Help me to see Your will and give me the courage to do it.

And just one more thing, Lord Jesus. Please give me Your peace as I seek Your direction for my life. I need to feel sure of Your presence. Thank You for listening, Lord, and for Your Help.

THE PRAYER: Heavenly Father, life is full of curve balls and things that blindside us. Train our hearts on Your Word and keep us there, abiding, and joyful in Your guidance and protection in our lives. In Jesus' Name. Amen.

Reflection Questions:
1. Has your life been uncertain lately? At what point do you turn to God when things get crazy?

2. A well-watered tree is a powerful image in the Old Testament. Does that characterize your life of faith, or would something less, something more dried up and struggling, be closer to the truth?

3. Going forward in faith but not knowing where is hard to do. How do you find patience to truly seek what God has for your life?
From The Lutheran Layman, April 1978 issue, "Sky-Writing, Road Maps, and What Do I Do Now?" by Jane Fryar. Use these devotions in your newsletter and bulletin! Used by permission; all rights reserved by the Int'l LLL (LHM).
Has your life been uncertain lately? At what point do you turn to God when things get crazy?

No comments:

Post a Comment