Thursday, April 20, 2017

LHM Daily Devotion - April 21, 2017 "A Doctor in the House?"

I love to watch old movies. One of the standard scenes in many of...

Daily Devotions from Lutheran Hour Ministries


By Pastor Ken Klaus, Speaker Emeritus of The Lutheran Hour


"A Doctor in the House?"

April 21, 2017

For I, the LORD your God, hold your right hand; it is I who say to you, "Fear not, I am the One who helps you."  - Isaiah 41:13, ESV

I love to watch old movies.

One of the standard scenes in many of those time-worn flickers occurs when someone has an emergency and an individual close by yells out the call for help: "Is there a doctor in the house?" Then, because the continuation of the plot demands, a wise physician steps forward and saves the day.

I've seen those corny films so often, I want to yell at the screen, "Nope, there's nobody there who can help. This movie is going to end in five minutes."

Of course, there are times when life imitates the movies.

Recently, on a Southwest Airlines flight between Atlanta and Houston, retired Air Force Colonel Tom McCay felt clammy and dizzy before he passed out. His concerned wife started yelling for help. Help came when a doctor offered his assistance. The first physician was joined by another, and another. All told there were 20 doctors, with all kinds of specialties, ready to help the Colonel.

Depending on your perspective, the Colonel was either a very blessed or a very lucky man.

Now you may be thinking such good fortune may come to him, but not all of us are lucky enough to be surrounded by a herd of physicians returning home from a medical conference.

That may be true; but it is certainly true that for the emergencies of life we have Someone we can turn to for help. Because of the work done by the Savior, we have been forgiven and adopted into the family of faith. As part of the Lord's household, we can be sure He is ready to hear us, and more importantly, He is  ready ,  willing , and  able  to help us.

How do I know? In numerous passages of Scripture, the Lord tells of His care and compassion:

Psalm 50:15 - "And call upon Me in the day of trouble; I will deliver you, and you shall glorify Me."
Isaiah 65:24 - "Before they call I will answer; while they are yet speaking, I will hear."
Philippians 4:19 - "And my God will supply every need of yours according to His riches in glory in   Christ Jesus."
Psalm 32:7 - "You are a hiding place for me; You preserve me from trouble; You surround me with shouts of deliverance."

Because of the Savior's sacrifice, we can be turned to the One Person who can help us bear, or conquer, or endure any trouble that comes our way. And that, my friends, means that while there may not be a "doctor in the house," there is a Savior in our hearts.


THE PRAYER: Dear Lord, in this sin-filled world, troubles, trials, and terrors are sure to come. May I always remember that You are just as surely there, ready to give me assistance, guidance, and help. For that, accept my gratitude and prayers offered with faith in Jesus' Name. Amen

(NOTE : Colonel McCay is doing all right. He was checked out when they landed and either he was dehydrated or some alcohol reacted negatively with some medication.)

Use these devotions in your newsletter and bulletin!  Used by permission; all rights reserved by the Int'l LLL (LHM). 

No comments:

Post a Comment